Chapter Six

Brody watched her the whole evening. He nibbled at his food,  not really having any appetite. Aunt Olivia's words echoed in his ears. A huge chaos at the entrance of the barn drew his attention.  His dad, uncle Rob and the sheriff uncle Phil went to check. They called him and he got up to check what the commotion was about. 

He looked with horror at the woman who came in with a baby in her arms dragging a pram loaded with baby stuff. She looked oddly familiar, like he'd seen her before but he couldn't pinpoint where. 

Everyone stared at her as she walked up to him. "Brody, you might not remember me. I'm Cathy, one year back you fu*ked me and now I've come to deposit your son with you.  I sneaked your business card so here I am. Do what you want to do with him, I'm not interested. I'm getting married and leaving Austin forever to start a new life, I don't need a fu*king baby," she said, dumping the three month old baby boy in his arms and marching out. 

They were too stunned to react.  Brody helplessly kept staring, dazed at the sudden turn of events. Bronson came running to his side, taking the baby from his arms," Bro, go stop her," he said, pushing his shocked brother. He knew Brody was always careful about using protection, the baby couldn't be  his.

Before he could run after her, Valentina got up from her seat and marched out. Sudden realisation struck him and he ran after her. 

"Valentina wait, I can explain, please listen to me," he pleaded. He couldn't believe this was really happening to him. The love of his life was walking away and his mind had stopped working. 

"There's nothing to explain. Tell me how many women do you fu*k everyday? And yet you claim you love me. Thank God I don't love a fu*king ass*ole like you. You are the worst person alive.  Go die of shame if not of anything else. I hate you. I always have and always will," she screamed at him and ran to her dad's car. Opening the door and going inside, she drove home at full speed. Alexandra was right. He was exactly what she had said. She would never have anything to do with him,  ever.

Brody stood there with tears in his eyes. He couldn't stop them, they kept flowing down his cheeks. He never cried in his entire life, yet now he was a mess of emotions. He knew he had lost her forever. His life had no meaning now. She wanted him to die. Well then, that's what he would do. There was no point living such a life anyways.

He turned back to the barn and went straight to the bar. He found a knife used for slicing lemons and toppings. Holding it, he was about to slash his wrists when two hands held his hands tightly, not allowing him to do anything. 

Looking up helplessly, he saw his aunty Olivia, holding his wrists tightly. The whole family stood there along with Valentina's parents. "We know exactly what happened Brody. Bronson told us everything. Believe me,  no one's worth dying for," she said, taking the knife from his hands.

"Every one of us men, have at one point of time taken out our frustrations. Yes, that was before you fell in love.  It's all fair. You can't be penalised for that. It is your misfortune that despite using protection, it backfired," said uncle Rob. 

"The girl could be framing him to get rid of another man's child, just to start afresh. Look son, you can always go for a paternity test and then sue the girl.  I'll help you," said the sheriff. 

"No uncle. What about the baby? It's not his fault. Where will he go? I know he's not mine but I can't throw him away," said Brody, calming himself. 

"Then forget everyone and live for your son  sweetie. Who cares if he's yours or not," said his mom.  

"Yeah, he's our grandchild from today," said his dad, holding the baby in his arms. 

"I'm really proud of you, son. If you ever need me, just ask. I'll help you any way I can. God bless you," said aunt Chloe. The sheriff and his wife left. 

Brody took his baby from his dad's arms. He looked down at the tiny fingers holding onto his index finger, like he doesn't want to let go, his blue eyes staring at him. "Welcome home, Brendon Summers. Daddy will call you Benny. Your mine. Only mine to love  and  call my own. We both can spend the rest of our lives together. What say, buddy?" He said as Benny smiled a toothless grin at him, melting his heart. 

He would only live for his Benny. He didn't need Valentina. He needed to let her go and he did. Let her move on. 

The next few days, he set up Benny's things in the small room next to his.  He had an interconnecting door constructed. He went to Austin with Briar and Alexia and his mom and  bought baby things for Benny.  He was busy as ever being a new dad  learning to do baby stuff. All his family members helped him. Aunt Chloe too came often to check upon Benny. Brody was at peace with his life. He had accepted what fate had meted out to him. He didn't go to see Valentina again.  

Valentina seethed with anger once she returned home. Her parents returned late and she was curious as to why.  They didn't speak to her much and she just felt that they were disappointed with her.  She knew Brody would appear at her shop tomorrow and try to explain himself and beg for her forgiveness. Will she ever forgive him? No. 

Only she was wrong. The next day she checked every time she had a visitor,  expecting to see Brody. She however was disappointed every time because Brody didn't come. 

He didn't come the whole of next week. She was  very disappointed. For the last one year, she had seen him everyday.  She had become used to him and now suddenly she felt a vacuum, a void, a pain deep in her heart.  She should have given him a chance to explain himself, but she didn't. She was besides herself with anger to even think clearly. 

Life went on with everyday being a new day with fresh expectations, which turned to dust when the day ended.