Chapter 6: Misunderstandings and Mistakes

"It's better than I ever even knew
They say that the world was built for two
Only worth living if somebody is loving you"

-

There was no way Heimdall could have ignored such a blaring sign of attack on what should have been the safest place in all the lands. Midgard would not survive being the battlefield for the forces gathering all around it, waiting to attack at the right moment, and the Chosen couldn't interfere without the AllFather's approval.

"We don't have orders to land, Sigyn."

"The Bifrost isn't opening for us."

"There is no way home."

These were the voices Cordelia was tuning out as she closed her eyes, focusing on all the things that reminded her of home. She clutched the wheel of the pod, manifesting all of her energy into igniting the core of the vessel. They had to get home at one, there was no other way to go about it.

She thought about the golden pillars of the palace, the sun shining on her eyes through leaves, the sound of trickling water by the mountain where she would practise. She thought about her first kiss with Loki, the first time she admitted to having fallen unconditionally in love with him and the joy that it gave him.

The ship surged with power under her hands, getting Cordelia cheers from her team. "Mission Control to Base! Mission Control to Base! This is Alpha 61 trying to enter the realm through the Five Rings," she spoke into the microphone, hoping somebody on the airbase would intercept the message.

At once, a bright white light surrounded the five of them, making their insides tremble with the new energy that sought them out. Instantly, they could feel themselves materialising along with the ship. They could sense every part of their body rewriting itself to fit interstellar travel, and soon, they were brought home.

Or that's what they thought.

They were standing not at the bridge but at a secluded area in the woods outside the palace borders. Cordelia recognised this to be the first training camp the Chosen had undergone to earn their titles. This was the beginning step to them becoming the warriors they were today. It was where they shed blood and sweat the prove themselves worthy and where they chose each other as their sisters.

It also meant Cordelia knew her way back home all too well, having snuck out here to practise by herself many times.

"Come on." She guided her sisters towards the palace.

"How could have Heimdall brought us all here instead of the bridge? This makes no sense."

It wasn't making any sense, all right. Heimdall would not let go of Cordelia's hand at such a crucial moment, which only meant that something had gone wrong during the initiation ceremony. The five realised this almost at the same time, glancing at each other before sprinting behind Cordelia.

Upon arriving at the deserted castle, the Chosen were stopped at the ethereal gates by two guards none of them were aware of. "Entry into the palace is forbidden under the rule of the new king."

Cordelia blinked profusely. "What do you mean by a new king?"

"Me." She heard his voice before she saw him.

In all the time she was away from home, Cordelia did not expect her reunion to have been like this. Loki was standing behind the gates, the bars on the gate not hiding the sinister smile on his face. This was unlike anyone Cordelia knew in her whole life.

The Chosen knelt before him as the gates sprang open, all but Cordelia. They could sense the power radiating from the horned figure, but it wouldn't stop their leader from finding out the truth, even if it was the king of Asgard. There was something....different about him. His sunken eyes were hiding something, and Cordelia wasn't by his side to help him through it. Seeing him stand before her, she wondered if he would need her help at all.

"Loki, what's going on here?" She whispered, hoping a sense of the love they felt for each other would show upon his face, but he was stone cold. He looked every bit the king he was born to be, and there seemed to be no room for Cordelia in his heart. It was absurd to think so, she knew it, but the way he looked down upon her made her wince.

How could such a change have happened in the time she was away?

"Ah, my beautiful Lady Sigyn." Loki stood right in front of her, his shadow making her grow colder by the second. "I would assume you would kneel before your ruler, would you not?"

The words hit her like a slap. This wasn't Loki speaking. Something was wrong.

Seeing her defiance, Loki only smiled, but there was not one bit of happiness in it. "The AllFather will not be waking up for a while, I'm afraid. The Chosen will not be required to assist on matters of expeditions and research. I hereby dissolve the council once and for all."

"No!" The Chosen stood up all at once, taking their place by Cordelia's side.

"Silence!" One word from Loki made them all take a step back, including Cordelia. "Why don't you band make yourself useful by following your duty to keep the city safe instead? I'm sure we can find a place for you with the surveillance corps."

Cordelia's eyes stung with unshed tears. "What happened to you?" She whispered. "What happened..."

A flash of recognition of the memories they shared seemed to have passed Loki's face. His expression softened against her. For a moment, Cordelia saw a glimpse of the man he really was. He was her best friend, her first love, the one she was supposed to marry. Loki was supposed to be her entire universe, but the man standing before her was none of those. What had changed in the time she left for her mission? Where was Thor? How could the Queen Mother allow for this to happen?

"The truth happened, Cordelia. I suggest you get going with your duties if you don't want your honour to be at stake here. I don't want to charge you with treason."

With that one word, the gate was shut upon the Chosen, leaving Cordelia buzzing with unanswered questions and drowning in the weight of Loki's words.