Chapter 9: A Slithery Fight

"Cause you'll be safe
in these arms of mine
Just call my name
on the edge of the night
And I'll run to you, I'll run to you"
-

A couple of years passed by and this time, the Queen hadn't revealed to anyone that she knew what her son had tried to do. She could pick the lies right off of him. He may have been known for his trickery, but he could never get away with it from her. When she found out that Cordelia was the one who had saved him, she felt sorrow and anger. Sorrow, because her son had chosen to take such a step and chose not to talk to her, and anger because she hadn't been there to realise that he was feeling such a way.

But she talked to Cordelia one day and thanked her for whatever she did. The young teenager was terrified of whatever was happening, which made Frigga take her hand in hers. "I trust you to keep my son safe, Sigyn," she spoke. "You saved him from something that I as his mother couldn't. I am indebted to you and-"

"Please don't say that, Your Majesty," said Cordelia. "I did nothing, only saved his life and knocked some sense into him." She chuckled softly, still terrified of the thought of what could have happened if she hadn't trusted her feelings. "I've been trying to make him see the beauty in this world and although he hasn't talked about why he did what he did, I am doing whatever I can to help him. I lo...."

She wanted to say that she loved him, but she had never told him that in the first place. Was she scared of how he would react? Maybe. Or was she more scared that he would take her affections to sympathy and reject who she was?

Now that was the terrifying thought that had been running inside her mind for years.

"I see." Frigga smiled, knowing exactly what the girl was feeling, and chose not to make her talk about it. It was between the children anyway. "I hope you are finding your stay here well."

Cordelia did not know why she immediately thought of all the times that she and Loki would sneak out to look at the falling stars or to Greha. "I'm really liking it. I have always been fascinated by the palace. It feels surreal but I'm content."

Once she was dismissed, she wandered around for a while and went to the palace grounds in search of her friends. She needed to change her mind about the disagreements that she had been having with her mother over her life. Asfrid wanted her to be safe now that Cordelia was working towards being a warrior, but Cordelia wanted action in her life. She wanted to break the monotonous life that she had been living.

But when she reached the familiar bench where they would all gather up, she saw only Thor seated there with a dagger in his hand. "Hi, Cordelia!" He said, looking up at her approaching their spot. "What are you doing here? I presumed that you were going to go to your home to get your belongings?"

"I thought I'll see all of you first. And there is not much to shift anyway. Only some of our clothes. Mother took care of the furniture anyway." She sat down next to him and sighed. "Did you ever think that I would be a part of the Warriors when we first met?"

Thor laughed. "I most certainly did not. You're so tiny!" He said, hugging her with one arm. "Tiny sister."

"Don't." She pointed her index finger at him. "Call me anything but that."

"Hmm....how about my future partner-in-crime?"

Cordelia's mouth fell open. "Shut up, Thor." She punched his arm playfully when a shadow came and stood in front of him. Cordelia looked up and saw Loki with a distraught look in his face. "Hey, Loki!" He turned his back on them and started walking down the path, making Thor and Cordelia exchange a look of confusion. "Woah woah woah!" She started to run after him. Saints he walks fast, she thought. "Woah, wait!" She stood in front of him, stopping him in his path and brought her hands out in front of him to block him. "What happened?"