Chapter 8: An Earned Gift

"I don't say a word
But still, you take my breath
and steal the things I know
There you go, saving me
from out of the cold"
-

A most awaited day for some of the Asgardians arrived - Cordelia's birthday. 

Asfrid had planned a surprise party for her in the place where she would least expect it. The Queen's gardens were decorated carefully so that Cordelia could have her party without affecting any of the new blooms. Loki was really looking forward to tell her the gift that he had for her.

But that day, she would receive a gift far more important than any other. And it would be from a person that everyone would be least expecting it from.

Cordelia woke up slowly and stretched her arms out. She yawned as she made her bed, not wanting to make a big deal out of that day, which she knew that her mother wouldn't listen to, but there was nothing she could do about it. "Happy birthday, my dear!" Asfrid wished by hugging her tightly. "It's not every day that my daughter turns into an adult!"

"Almost adult," she corrected. Cordelia still had several years before she had to worry about getting a job and earning for herself. She was still a kid as far as she was concerned, barely out of her teenhood.

"The Queen wants to meet you today," said Asfrid.

Cordelia's heart stopped beating for a second there. Why did the Queen Mother want to talk to her of all people? Oh Saints, she thought. Had she found out about what Loki had attempted to do? No, that couldn't be it. That had happened months ago. If the Queen had found out, there wouldn't be the peaceful atmosphere that Asgard was now facing, although she wasn't known to be the one to punish people.

Cordelia accompanied her mother to the palace and when she found out that the Queen was waiting for her in the garden, she should have known that something was going to happen. Because when she walked through the doors, everyone screamed their wishes. Lady Sif and her brothers in spirit hugged Cordelia one by one, but her mind was elsewhere.

She was scared.

Scared for her life.

Scared for her mother's life.

And to top all that, scared for Loki's life.

She had heard that the King had a temper and would sometimes beat his children, although Thor and Loki always kept their mouths shut about these rumours. Cordelia couldn't imagine the princes going through such a torture, not while the Queen was aware of it.

And they didn't. Odin loved both of them and the Princes knew better than to support false rumours by denying it.

While her mind was running at a high speed, she came in front of the Queen that was standing near the fountain. But the person standing next to her made Cordelia's eyes open wide in shock. "Your Majesties." She stifled a gasp as she got down on one knee and placed her right hand on her chest.

"Rise, child." The Allfather spoke. "We've been told that you are coming to adulthood today."

Cordelia's legs wobbled as she stood up. Her eyes had searched the room for Loki, but he seemed to be missing. Where was he? "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Everyone may have their gifts for you but I have one far more important thing to tell you about it first," he said. "Would you like to hear it?"

Cordelia managed to nod, her voice stuck in her throat. In all the years that she had spent in the palace, she had not once been so close in perimeter to the Allfather. Not even to the Queen Mother, but definitely not to King Odin. She was scared beyond her wits and the only thing that was keeping her calm was the soft smile on the Queen's face.

"Your training and education seems to be going really well," said the Allfather. "I'm thoroughly impressed by your weaponry skills. My beautiful wife," He looked at her and took her hand in his. "Also tells me that you are quite skillful in magic, are you not?"

"Yes...."

"Good!" He said. "That means that we might as well make this official then. Frigga?"

The Queen Mother looked at the young, almost trembling girl and Cordelia heard the words that she never thought she would hear in her entire life. "We want you to be a part of the Asgardian Army as the Allfather's Chosen Warriors."

Asfrid's mouth fell open, not knowing anything about this in the slightest. The Queen said that her job at the palace may be permanent but she had never assumed that a huge honour would be passed onto her daughter. Maybe it was time for everyone to realise that cultural differences were not differences at all but factors of unity.

Cordelia opened her mouth to say something but closed it back again. The royals wanted her to be a part of the King's Army, which was a position that only the worthy were offered. They considered her to be one.

She got down on both her knees then. "I will do right by you, Your Majesties."

Odin braced his staff and placed it on Cordelia's left shoulder. "Do you, Lady Cordelia of Asgard," she was being given an identity then, which was more important to him more than anything. "Promise to stand by Asgard and its rulers to protect it from any harm from this day forward?"

She looked up at him and nodded once. "I do."

"And do you accept the name that you will be given today to be a part of who you are from this day forward?"

She was going to be given a different name, which was another honour that very few were allowed to, because this name would be the one that would define who she was. This was the name that she was going to use proudly. "I do."

Odin looked at Frigga, who held the staff with him and then placed it on Cordelia's right shoulder. "I name thee....Lady Sigyn....of Asgard."

A warm feeling entered Cordelia. She was Sigyn. Lady Sigyn of Asgard.

"Rise," said Odin. "Welcome, Lady Cordelia, Sigyn, to the Asgardian Royal Army."

Applause went across the room as Cordelia realised that her eyes had teared up. She wiped it quickly and stood confidently before the rulers. "Thank you, Allfather." She bowed her head at him. "Thank you, Queen Mother." She bowed her head at the Queen. "I won't let you down."

Loki watched her in awe from afar, because from that day forward, Cordelia and Astrid lived at the palace. She was a part of a vigorous training but she was given a status within the palace. Her training only let her and Loki spend a lot more time together. They would take walks under the moonlit sky filled with stars.

If they knew what was coming for them, perhaps they wouldn't have made the decisions that they did.