Chapter 6: Figuring Things Out

"City of stars
Are you shining just for me?"
-

"He really ate the entire cake?"

"Not a single piece was left for Hogun. I felt bad for him and gave him the one that I had managed to steal earlier."

"Volstagg, wow!"

Cordelia and Sif sat in Sif's chambers in the castle having a nice chat about the week. Sif made her right at home. She had an area in one half of the room where she would practice. Her room wasn't as girlish as Cordelia had thought it to be. Sif had decorated the room like she had always wanted to and the Queen Mother had encouraged them to do it. "Thank you for teaching me how to braid my hair," said Sif. "I don't want to give Fandral another chance at chopping it off or scorching it during training."

"What are friends for?" Cordelia smiled, having learnt the skill herself after long trials.

"So what's going on with you and Loki?" Sif finally broke the ice.

Cordelia had been expecting that question. It's what everyone seemed to be asking her, since the other half of the relationship did not talk much about it. Or talk at all, for that matter. It was her job to give people the updates. Her mother had asked her the same question a few days back and she had told her the same thing that she was going to tell Sif now. 

"We're taking things slow."

In reality, they hadn't talked to each other about it. Something always got in between when they tried to start up a conversation to talk about where things were going. Cordelia was nobody to the people at the palace. It was a great deal that she was allowed inside and it was a miracle that she became friends with the Princes. 

But there was no way that she could let her heart get in the way. She had to think of the future of Asgard.

Woah, missy! Getting a little far there, the opposition voice in her mind told her.

Did the Queen know? Would she have encouraged this? Cordelia couldn't even imagine what her mother was going through because she had been quite silent about this entire topic. Astrid wanted Cordelia to figure things out herself as a transition in growing up. In fact, Astrid was having a great time at the palace. Queen Frigga loved the thought of their children thinking of a future with each other but they kept an eye on them. They didn't want them heartbroken.

"We haven't talked about it yet," revealed Cordelia. There was no point lying about it. "We had that one kiss and then we've been silent about it."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go!"

Cordelia's eyebrows shot up. "Now?" It was almost nightfall and she was ready to go home. To knock on the Prince's door this late would send out the wrong message to everyone. But would Loki entertain that or would he put an end to the rumours that could pass by?

"After a hundred years or so when we die on a lone planet somewhere trying to protect our people and each other." Sif rolled her eyes. "Yes, now!" She pushed Cordelia from the diwan. "Go talk some sense into him! I've had enough of seeing him pining over you. It's getting pitiful at this point."

It was now or never.

Cordelia ran out of the room and tried not to look panicked. She didn't want anyone to have any suspicions when there was no reason to be at in the first place. She walked in the direction of the Throne Room and thought about meeting him at the garden. He would have been accompanying the Queen along with Thor that evening.

But as she turned a corridor, she banged against someone's chest and stumbled back a few steps as he held onto her. "Loki!" 

"Cordelia!"

They had met each other in the middle.

"I was coming to see you!" They said at the same time and then laughed together.

"Would you like to go first?" He asked, brushing a loose lock of hair behind her ear. "It's only fair. I basically pushed you to the ground."

Cordelia smiled. "I wanted to talk. About....us."

"Ah," he said. "Would you believe me if I said that I wanted to talk to you about the same topic?" She raised her eyebrows at him, making him chuckle. "Come on." He took her hand in his and they walked hand-in-hand to the garden.

Cordelia noticed that this was the first time that they had shown affection in public. She wasn't used to seeing the people who were trying not to stare at them in awe. Loki seemed to enjoy it while her heart was beating out of her chest.

Loki opened the door and indicated Cordelia to enter first. She curtsied and entered first. He took her hand once again and both of them walked towards the glass house across the pond. They sat down on the white-coloured bench that the Queen had set there. She took a seat and crossed her arms across her chest, waiting for him to start the conversation first. "I like us," he said. "I like you. I don't think we should let other people tell us how we should or should not be."

Her mouth fell open. "Did you read my mind?" He opened his mouth to answer but she pointed her index finger at him. "Don't lie!"

Loki chuckled looking at the ground. "How about we make another deal?" He took her hands his. "I won't lie to you."

She took a deep breath. "Okay? What's my end of the deal?"

Loki leaned forward and kissed her softly. He placed his hand on the nape of her neck and when he pulled back, he rested his forehead against hers. "Never change. Never stop being who you are."

Cordelia's face heated up. Whether it was from the kiss or from Loki's voice, she did not know. "Isn't my end of the deal quite the opposite to yours?" She smirked.

He shrugged. "I couldn't come up with anything else." 

She seemed hesitant to say what was on her mind but looking at Loki, she knew that he would understand it if she could get it out. "I'm really a nobody, Loki. I'm only glad that I'm allowed here. Are you sure that you want this? We cannot do this if you aren't serious because-"

Loki interrupted her with another kiss, grabbing the nape of her neck to show just how serious he was. He could feel her face heating up in the kiss that they were sharing after the first one. He pulled back and rested his forehead against hers, both their eyes closed and a strand of her hair falling over both their faces. "Are you always this concerned or is it something that you picked up ever since I told you how I felt about you?"

"Are you sure?" She asked him once more, opening her eyes slowly.

"Love, I haven't been more sure about anything."

That got her to smile. She couldn't control it and it came out of nowhere. "Does that mean that we make this official? Because you cannot change your mind about this. Too many people are involved and we are only children."

Loki sighed. "I may be known for mischief and trickery but I want to trust people. I want to trust you."

Cordelia nodded. "I know what you mean. My end of the deal is that I won't question your motives as long as you don't lie."

Loki put forward his hand. "It's a deal."