TWENTY-THREE

Chapter 23 // Misfortune Befalls
[INFINITY]

"The Sawashiki Estate. One of the founders Development in Nebula's history, due to their invention in Auto-mobile and easy transportation."

"Who are you? Raise your hands and drop your weapon!" cried one of the guards. Propped on his hand was a Mendeo charged Rifle. He turned to one of his comrades. "There's only one target, get in and protect the fam—"

A shot resounded. The echo loud enough that it scared most of the guards standing at position.

However, one of the man standing behind the guard who was barking orders could only utter a broken scream as something dropped to his hands. From the pink substance that hung heavy with the pungent scent of blood. There was no mistaking it.

He screamed loudly, alerting his comrades who began shooting at where the bullet had came from. The rage of assaults from the hailing energy bullets caused dust to rise, effectively bringing a smoke screen up to view.

"Fire!" More of the guards shouted as they reloaded their guns with the energy cores. They pointed the nozzles with all the might and pressed on the trigger with the intention to kill. But even that wasn't enough.

Whatever they were fighting, it knew well of their blind spots.

Something whizzed the air that surrounded the guards. They were unknown to the slight change of air, nor how the area they were shooting was simply to calm.

Only one was aware as he cried helplessly to something only his eyes could see. He tried to warn his comrades, to look behind them, only to be shot dead in a similar fashion as the first guard.

"Second man down!" said the 3rd guard as he pointed his weapon to his back, only to be left limp as something pierced through his heart. Fleeting images of an unknown place were seen in the back of his eyelids. The shallow breath he took as the last 4th guard was also gunned down a solid headshot. It made him smile.

He smiled knowing his team had fallen together.

I leave everything to you, hero. His last thought before his body began to convulse, and eventually exploding into a beautiful fountain of red.

*

"Humans." Said one voice, so sweet with a hint of malice as she stepped over the strewned intestines of dead humans. "Will stay weak."

The pink puddles of destroyed brain matter made her shoes emit a squelching noise as she stepped on them. She had white fabric rolled into thick ropes that she had tied to her wrists. On the end of each ropes, lied 2 females. She had tied their feet with the same cloth, making it easier to drag them along with her.

Maria, and another one who she had coincidentally found outside of the Estate. A first thought suggested her to abandon the corpse, but something about the dark skin riddled with smears of dust and filth, it emitted a strange strength that is too rare. "How can my luck run so wild?" she asked as she founded another piece of fabric, forming a knot around her ankles before tying the other end to her hands.

This way, she wouldn't accidentally kill her precious... gifts so early.

"Not that the world should be rid of it. That's not why I am here." She spoke. She padded her way on to the front elevated porch, keeping note on the rough tiles. She wondered if the tiles would be much prettier if they came in the shade of white, rather than this dark fungus colour. It came with a risk to drag her 2 dying corpses behind this way. She risk having them injured by the steps.

But time is wasted if she does require assistance to do her job. With an aggravated sigh, she was forced to follow with her usual ministrations. The sounds of two skulls hitting the hard surface echoed like a majestic orchestra. If only they were awake, she would be able to enjoy the music of desperation as they try to untangle themselves from her hold.