TWELVE

Chapter 12 // Ambush
[ATHANE]

"Mendeo Core energies are varied in amount depending on one's position. For a normal officer they are given 2 cubes. For a sergeant it is 3 cubes. For Lieutenants it is 4 cubes. However the further the ladder, the more irrelevant the amount becomes as it is unlimited for Captains, Inspectors and Superintendents."

Do you know the feeling where your heart warns you first before your brain can react? It's a primal sense all humans have called 'instinct.'

The moment Athane stepped out of the back exit of the hospital-- all from the help of an old caretaker who told him it was a secret exit, he immediately felt his heart plunge, the depth of the fall made his blood spike, the thumping a rhythmic boom against his sense of hearing.

Fear makes humans do many things, he thought as he carefully avoided the scraps littering his path. Numerous plastic wrappings, a few pieces of ripped paper and a half emptied water bottle laid infront of him. Fear makes humans do reckless things. He stopped, listening carefully to the sudden groaning of metal being twisted, hinges audibly scratching the serene stillness his environment provided.

Fear, it makes people predictable.

As soon as he raised a foot forward, there was suddenly the sound of someone screaming, the voice was harsh, fueled with anger as the person responsible charged straight to him. He digress the person as quick, his footsteps were like echoing puddles after the rain. Despite it being loud and obvious, the person was smart enough to attack him in the dark. It was as if they took into account that Athane, was half blind in one eye. Hence, the use of his monocle.

With a second to spare, Athane knocked himself back, letting the metal pole that was supposed to hit him square in the face graze the air. He raised from his position quickly while twisting the arm holding the pole and giving the attacker a kick to the stomach, hard.

The assailant was forced to wheeze as his breathing was knocked away from him. His grip on the weapon loosened as he fell to the ground, hand tenderly holding the spot where a bruise or possibly a broken bone was formed. But the man did not care, he glared at Athane, eyes brimming with tears of hate.

"you people are corrupted!"

Athane didn't know what to say. He held the metal pole tighter, taking extra notes on which side of it bared the jagged broken edge. He pointed the sharp edge of the weapon to the man. He must've been in his 30s, depending on the muscle amassing his body he seemed to be a construction worker or someone who carries heavy objects.

Athane had been trained for this, to react appropriately at a moment's notice. After all, he was trained by a ruthless mentor under the name 'Lewis'. His senior practically beat all his knowledge into Athane's brain, mindset fixed by the fact that his high position as an Inspector lands him in the realm of envy. It was possible to have people hurting him just to get his title, colleagues alike.

But judging from the strike this man gave, it held a lot of inexperience in accuracy. He could tell from the lack of stabilization he places on his dormant feet, and the sluggish precision of the strike. This man had the intent to hurt him, but was not gifted much in the skills needed.

The distance of power both parties had caused him to lessen the guard he held—almost. The moment his grip on the weapon was shifted, he could hear the sound of something moving in the shadows. A rustle of a clothing.

"you in the shadows," He called out, weapon still held in similar position to the man who attacked him earlier. The man visibly shifted, eyes fearfully making eye contact with the blue haired male. "Get out or I'll take this man's head with me."