Chapter 31 : Together

Start from the beginning

"Push this up," Sam said in a low voice as Bucky gripped the crowbar, listening to Sam's order without a word. Y/n admired their silent agreement to help each other. She didn't know Steve Rogers, but she knew one thing, that he'd be proud of the two of his closest friends. She sure was.

Best friends, but too damn stubborn to admit it. Y/n smiled and shook her head at her thought while Bucky moved away from Sam, finding another task to complete.

"Start loosening those bolts," Sam said to Bucky, passing him a wrench. The confines of the space were still silent, the mere clinks of metal coming from Bucky and Sam being the only sounds that were erupting.

Sam sent Bucky a small nod of appreciation, Bucky returning it while Y/n attempted to find another wrench. Once she had, she walked over to Bucky, standing next to him and assisting him with loosening the bolts. Although she failed miserably. Instead, the whole wrench with her firm grip on it, slipped away from the bolt, startling her. Bucky quickly caught her arm so that she didn't scrape her skin on anything.

"Oops..." Y/n said, embarrassed by her accident, but that humiliation was soon paired with an inevitable bright smile when Bucky let out a small chuckle at her clumsiness. Sam grinned and shook his head at the pair, realising that throughout the whole mission, she was the one who made Bucky smile the most or even smile at all at first.

"Watch me," Bucky said to her, Y/n responding with a nod as she watched him show her the proper way to loosen the bolt. She cleared her throat, forcing herself to focus on his actions instead of the way his hand flexed with the wrench.

She copied his actions, successfully loosening the bolt with ease and giving him a smile of gratitude for his help. She finally had two great friends by her side, and they'd met by the strangest of circumstances.

An hour had passed and the three of them were now sitting on the dock, attempting to solve the problem with the water pump of the boat. Although there really wasnt a problem which was made clear when Sarah discovered what they were doing.

Y/n sat next to Bucky, listening to Sam explain a solution to the so called problem, but he was then shut down by Bucky when Sarah began to walk over to them with a disapproving look to Sam.

"Nope," Bucky suddenly disagreed, closing the manual and carelessly dropping it.

"What do you mean no? You didn't even look," Sam said to Bucky in slight annoyance by his sudden disagreement. Sam looked at Y/n in question and disbelief, but Y/n simply chuckled and raised her hands in mock surrender, indicating that she didn't even know what was happening in the first place.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no," They heard Sarah say as she walked up to the group of three.

"I don't have to," Bucky replied to Sam with a smart tone, flinging his arms out to the side as if it was an obvious reason.

Sarah stood in front of the three, looking down at them, "Hey Sarah," Bucky greeted her, looking up at her with his charming smile, and small wave of his flesh hand, causing both Sam and Y/n to give him a dirty look of disapproval.

"I told you specifically that the water pump was not the problem, and yet here you are," Sarah said, gesturing down to the water pump with her head tilted to the side.

"Yep, Samuel," Bucky replied, looking down at the water pump in front of them with squinted eyes.

"Hi, I just want you to know that I have nothing to do with this," Y/n said to Sarah with an expression that emphasised her attempt of obliviousness towards the situation, putting her hands up in defense. Sarah smiled back at her before Sam began to speak again.

"In our defense, we were supposed to be done long before you woke up," Sam playfully defended them with a smile and slightly raised hands of defense.

"Yes Sam, because that's a perfect excuse," Y/n commented, sarcastically with a smile and shake of her head at Sam's meaningless attempt of defense.

"Exactly. Look, I don't come up to the sky to tell you how to barrel roll or whatever, so don't come down here and start messing with things you clearly dont understand," Sarah answered Sam while pointing down to the water pump.

"Well damn. She really got you back," Y/n laughed at the two siblings in front of her. She always wished she had a sibling. Surprisingly, Sam became the closest thing to what she actually could call an older brother. It was sad for her that she felt that way about someone she'd only known for a few days. It made her feel like she had nothing before entering that group.

"Wow," Sam commented in slight disbelief and offense at his sister's reply, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Bye," Sarah said to him.

"Wow."

"Off," she ordered, Bucky put his hands on his knees signalling that he was about to stand up, Sam and Y/n following, "Thank you gentleman, ma'am. Appreciate you," Sarah said to them with a smile, pressing her clipboard to the front of her thighs as she leaned forward, "Love you bro."

Sam set the cloth he had in his hand down, beginning to walk away, acting annoyed by Sarah's refusal and comments while Bucky and Y/n followed, shooting Sarah a smile before they walked away.

"She's a very mean person," Sam commented to Bucky and Y/n, Y/n walking in between the two men with a laugh.

"It's tough love," Bucky replied, leaving a soft pat to Sam's back while Y/n tilted her head to the side in agreement with a smile.

"Poor Sammie," Y/n remarked with a chuckle, making Sam look down at her with furrowed eyebrows from the pair's teasing.

"No, if you guys did what I told you to do, we would have been done before any of this took place," Sam answered, making Y/n roll her eyes with a smile at him.

"To be fair, I didn't even know what you were saying."

Bucky chuckled at Y/n before saying to Sam, "There is no such thing."

"There's a prowess that goes into my madness," Sam replied, but Y/n interrupted before the conversation could completely unfold.

"Alright. Well, we got some free time. So, what are we going to do now?" she questioned, looking up to her sides at both of the men who looked ahead in thought.

"I know," Sam replied as the three of them walked off together, past the people that flooded the docks