Chapter 31 : Together

Throughout the night, Bucky had unknowingly slid back into his flat position on the couch, Y/n now sleeping peacefully on top of him, her arms wrapped around his torso. Bucky had her tightly enveloped in his arms, his hands resting on her lower back.

Bucky suddenly woke up to the sounds of Sarah's nephews creating sound effects through their mouths. It took Bucky a few seconds to realise where the sound was coming from before he turned his head to the side, seeing the two children acting out a fight with the shield.

He watched them for a few seconds before giving them a little wave with his flesh hand, "Hey," Bucky said, to get their attention, letting them know that he saw what they were doing. He then brought his metal index finger closer to his lips, then pointed to Y/n on top of him with his flesh finger, indicating that they should also be a little quieter before he placed his flesh hand back on her back.

One of them immediately said, "Put it back," while slipping the shield back into its bag, "Hurry, hurry," one of the boys urged before they were finally able to make their getaway, the shield falling to the ground in its bag.

Bucky smiled as he watched them leave, but the smile soon dropped into a look of deep thought when he looked at the ground to where the shield was. The shield was slightly slipping out of the bag, showing a partial amount of the shield. He turned his head back to look at the ceiling, most likely recalling every memory that was held within that honourable piece of metal.

He looked down at Y/n with a smile when she let out a soft groan, "Kids are cute, but when they wake you up, you just know that they're a spawn of the devil," she said with a sigh while Bucky let out a small chuckle.

It took Y/n a few seconds until she came to the realisation that she was laid on top of Bucky...flat on top of him with her arms still wrapped around him, tucked slightly underneath his body. Her eyes widened, immediately lifting herself up, trying to brush off the awkward situation due to the position they were just in.

"Sorry, she mumbled, a deep blush beginning to flower around her cheeks, causing Bucky to smile as she looked down in humiliation. She was still coming to terms with the fact that they fell asleep together. It was so comfortable that she had almost instantly fallen asleep once she settled in his arms the night before.

"It's fine," he assured her, standing up from the couch, "Come on," he said, motioning for her to follow him out the door.

She nodded, still slightly flustered as she followed him outside where the sun had only just begun to rise, the horizon fitted with golden hues fading amongst the light blue overhead.

"God, it's beautiful out here," Y/n commented, admiring the view of the natural wonder of the ocean to their side, the gentle waves moving across the open sea.

"Yeah, it is..." Bucky replied with a longing tone, Y/n completely unaware that Bucky was staring down at her to his side instead of their surroundings with a soft smile of fascination by the girl.

They continued to walk down to the boat, noticing that Sam was under the small door that led underneath to a confined room that held the engine of the boat. It appeared that he was fiddling around with it, focusing on fixing it.

Much like the day they entered Zemo's jet, Bucky put his hand on the small of Y/n's back, slightly moving her forward towards the door. Her skin underneath the fabric of her shirt where Bucky's hand was placed, instantly heated up, causing Y/n to sigh out of frustration that one man can have such an effect on her.

Y/n stepped down to the ladder to the underneath compartment of the boat. Bucky followed after her, seeing Sam still slightly struggling with his work. Y/n watched as Bucky moved towards Sam, who was making small stressed grunts from his incapability to do the job by himself. Y/n leaned back on the metal steps. Folding her arms over her chest, staring intently when Bucky silently helped Sam.