Chapter 12 : Against Us

Y/n stood near the exit of the facility patiently waiting for Sam and Bucky to arrive. She brushed her hand through her hair, looking down at the ground and shaking her head. She shouldn't have gotten so distressed. That got out of hand.

"Hey. You ok?" Y/n heard Bucky call out to her, walking beside Sam as they neared her.

"Yeah. Let's go," she answered, standing up straight and immediately heading for the door, Bucky and Sam behind her. Their moods were still dropped after that extremely uncomfortable therapy session that they were forced into.

"Well, I feel better," Sam said from behind Y/n in a sarcastic voice.

"I feel awful," Bucky replied when Y/n turned around to face the two men.

The three of them looked to their side when a police vehicle's siren was activated in order to capture their attention. Y/n sighed as she saw Walker and his partner, leaning against the car. Walker looked at them with a smile.

"Never goes away, does he?" Y/n sighed again, staring at him, unimpressed by his sudden appearance.

"Gentlemen. Ma'am," he called out to the group with a wave.

"Way to make me feel old, Walker," Y/n said back with an eye roll, following Sam and Bucky, walking over to John with a slow and reluctant pace.

"Good to see you again," he stated, still smiling as the three walked over in silence, straight facial expressions across their faces.

"Look, if we divide ourselves, we don't stand a chance, you guys know that," he continued while Bucky headed over to the same car, casually leaning one hand against it, the other on his hip. Sam and Y/n stood beside each other in front of Walker, Y/n's arms folded across her chest.

Sam rolled his eyes before looking at John and asking, "So what do you got?"

"Well the leader's name's Karli Morgenthau. We've been targeting civilians who've been helping Karli move from place to place."

"They geo tagged the locations to scramble the signal...but our satellites have found their symbol popping up in various displaced communities all across Central and Eastern Europe," Lemar continued, making Sam pinch his eyebrows together in question.

The three of them listened intently to the information they were given, although they barely wanted to, they needed this information.

"Mhm, and we think that she's taking the medicine she just stole to one of these camps," John explained to them.

"Well, there are hundreds of those all over the planet...since the Blip so I guess you'll have to...look real hard," Bucky spoke up, tilting his head to the side quickly and sarcastically.

"Good thing I have 20/20 vision then huh?" John joked with his arms folded.

"Idiot," Y/n mumbled to herself, rolling her eyes at his pathetic attempt at a joke.

"Where is she now, Walker? Do you know?" Bucky asked, raising his voice, clearly fed up with him.

"No, we don't know Bucky," John answered, beginning to become annoyed as he raised his voice.

"How many times do I have to say it? Don't call him that," Y/n said through gritted teeth, taking a step forward in irritation while John ignored her, staring at Bucky before he continued.

"But it's only a matter of time before we find out."

"Things are really intense for you, aren't they Walker?" Bucky asked sarcastically, slightly amused that he was able to annoy John.

"Bucky, don't be mean. They probably are. You know, signing all those autographs, shaking all those hands, taking all those pictures, it must be tiring. Am I right, Walker?" Y/n asked innocently, sarcasm lacing her words as she tilted her head up.

"Take it easy, look, Walker's right. It is imperative that we find them, and stop them, but you guys have rules of engagement and all kinds of authorisations you have to get. We're free agents...we're more flexible, so it wouldn't make sense for us to work with you," Sam stepped in, walking over beside Bucky, putting a hand out to stop him from commenting.

All three of them glanced back at John and Lemar in silence, beginning to walk away, when John suddenly called out to them again.

"Well, word of advice then."

They turned back to look at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Stay the hell out of my way."

The pair began to walk away as Sam, Bucky and Y/n watched them. Y/n staring at them with a cold glare.

"You should've let me punch him or something," Y/n shrugged, turning around and walking away.

The three of them were now walking down the street. Bucky and Sam were walking next to each other with Y/n beside Sam, staring at the ground as she walked. Her ears perked up when Sam decided to speak.

"So what are you thinking?" he asked Bucky while glancing behind himself.

"Well I know what we have to do," Bucky answered, glancing back as well before he continued.

"When Isaiah said 'my people'..."

"Ahh, don't take that to heart. That's not what he meant."

"No, he meant Hydra. Hydra used to be my people."

Y/n felt herself become sad after hearing those words come out of Bucky's mouth, keeping her head down, listening attentively while she walked in silence.

Sam let out a prolonged scoff, "Not a chance," he said, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Walker doesn't have any leads," Bucky pointed out.

"Look, I know where you're going with this, and no."

"He knows all of Hydra secrets. Don't you remember Syberia?"

Y/n's head lifted in confusion, curious as to who they were talking about, but decided against interrupting their conversation, surely she would find out soon enough.

"So you're just going to go sit in a room with this guy?"

"Y- yes..." Bucky answered, nodding his head, hesitating for a couple of seconds before he did.

Sam sighed softly, thinking it over before he agreed, "Ok then..."

They slowly came to a stop, Bucky turning his body to face Sam. Y/n looking up at them in curiosity.

"We're gonna go see Zemo" he continued, making Y/n furrow her eyebrows in confusion.

Who the hell is Zemo? She asked herself. Wondering what was so bad that the pair had been so hesitant to talk about.

Bucky hesitated again before he nodded in agreement, as if he was convincing himself that this was the right decision, before the three of them began to walk again, off into the night.