Chapter 40 : Newfound Tension

The plans were set for the two. In the morning, after they got some much needed rest, Bucky would set out to make amends with every single person who found their names to be on his list while Y/n would finally reach out to her mother again. Y/n also had another plan she saved for later.

Bucky insisted that his amends were something he needed to do alone. He knew everything would be better if he had Y/n by his side, but he also couldn't bear the thought of her seeing every single person he'd hurt as the Winter soldier.

Bucky was able to convince Y/n to speak with her mother. He knew he couldn't force her to do anything in that situation, or any situation at all, but he definitely didn't want Y/n to live with any regrets.

She couldn't be any more proud of Bucky than she already was. He'd overcome so much in his 106 year old, overextended life. More than anyone could've ever endured. Then there he was, learning to love, to cherish friendships, to offer closure to those he'd hurt, even when it'd hurt him to face those victims.

Every fibre of her being was in love with him.

Every fibre of her being was proud of him.

Every fibre of her being was-

"No."

Y/n rubbed her forehead in frustration, letting out a loud sigh.

Every fibre of her being was irritated by him...but there were pretty good circumstances to why she was annoyed.

Damn him for being considerate of her.

"Bucky, seriously, I'm fine. Get your ass out here, and sleep with me," she called out to him from the living room. They were currently bickering over where to sleep, because Bucky was not having Y/n leave his apartment, and she wouldn't want to leave.

'Attachment issues' at it's finest.

Y/n noticed Bucky pop his head from around the corner into the living room. A wide smirk was playing across his lips, it also seemed he was fighting off a very wide smile, and his cheeks seemed to blush a little.

He's...adorable. She thought to herself, noticing his evident reaction to her words. Both of them twisting the meaning into something far more interesting than what she intended to say.

She let out a small laugh from his reaction while Bucky's full body entered the living room, "You're not sleeping on the floor," he said, walking over to her with a shrug, as if their little 'argument' was officially over because he implied it with his tone.

"You're not sleeping in the bed," she shrugged back, challenging him, folding her arms over her chest as Bucky raised an eyebrow at her, closing in on her with his body towering over hers.

He stared down at her with a small smile, even though she was acting like a brat, it was probably one of the cutest things she could do : persist to do what was best for him, no matter what.

"Y/n," his voice deepened, and she suppressed a shudder from the sudden change of tone, "I'm not letting you sleep on the floor. You'll be uncomfortable." It didn't help that Bucky would do the same : persist to do what was best for her, no matter what.

"And I'm not letting you sleep on the bed. You'll be uncomfortable," she repeated back, an innocent yet somewhat mischievous smile on her face, "Bucky..." she said, trying to act intimidating. Instead, Bucky reacted in a different way. He stared down at her, licked his lips, smirked, and leaned down.

There they go. Another moment that Y/n would file into her 'Never in a million years will I forget this' box inside of her brain. She watched him lean down, his lips near hers. There it goes. They were going to kiss, and it was going to be a great moment for the both of them.