THIRTY-FIVE

KHUMO MORAPEDI-KHOZA

For the past two days, I've been crashing at Evelyn's place. Her parents were coming back today and I don't want them to find me here. I'm so grateful that she has not pressured me into telling her why I'm hiding out at her parents house. I haven't been to any of my classes as well, knowing Zakhele, he might go and camp at the college gate or have someone do it. I was not taking any chances.
I was afraid of switching my phone on, that husband of mine is very tricky. Going back home is not an option either, my mom would call him the second I open her gate.
I got of the bed, to clean and cook.. it's the least I could do. While I cooked the oxtail, I started feeling very sleepy. I put the heat on low then took a nap in the lounge on the mat...

I was in a different environment, I looked around to see where I was but it was a big beautiful garden. I walked around until I found a waterfall, it kept on calling my name.. I was freaked out a bit. I looked inside the water, this time around I was not in tattered clothes. I was wearing a gorgeous champagne coloured mermaid wedding dress. I touched the dramatic long veil and smiled at myself. I touched my face and I didn't have any bruises, what is going on?
I crouched down and used the water to wash my face. I still didn't have any bruises. I heard a voice of someone crying on deep inside the waterfall. I removed my heels and saw white strings on both my legs, I tried to remove them but they tightened around my ankles. The crying got to me... I stepped inside the river, walking to the waterfall. The crying sounded near.
On the other side of the waterfall was a cave. It was so dark, I could not see a thing but heard only the sobbing. “Hello?”
I walked closer to the sobs, “Keneilwe?”
She lifted her head and looked at me. “Khumo, what are you doing here? I told you to not come.”
“What are you talking about Keneilwe?”
“You didn't read my message?”
“What message? I don't know what you're talking about.”
“It doesn't matter now. I'll be okay here.”
“Why were you crying?”
“I don't know.. since I have arrived at this place I've been crying non stop, and I hate it!”
“Maybe this was an opportunity to let you for once be in your feelings without pretending. When was the last time you cried because you were hurt? It's okay to be weak Neilwe. That's your strength.”
“I don't like being weak, I always want to be in control.”
“You can't always be in control Punkie. Let your guard down just once.”
“I don't want to get burnt again!”
“I don't understand.”
“I've been through a lot Khumo, I've done things that make one's skin crawl. Everytime I wanted to stop, they had a hold over me. I didn't want to lose you.”
“You won't lose me, I'm here.. I know I have not been the best sister but I'm here for you.”
“Who are you kidding Khumo? You have been the best sister ever! I just didn't see it then but now I do. I'll look over you and my niece or nephew on the other side.”
I was confused. “What are you talking about?”
“Forgive him.. I know we both Didn't like how Mama, pushed you to him at first but he really loves you. Give him another chance. Start afresh.” Keneilwe touched my tummy and smiled, “she's going to bring you two very close.”
I was not interested in her baby talks, I needed to know what she meant by she will look over me on the other side. She must have noticed the frown on my face. “I'm finally going to be with daddy.. I've missed him so much. Don't worry I'll visit you through the dreams. I can now communicate with dreams just like you.”
I shook my head once I realised what she was talking about. “You can't die now Neilwe, it's not your time. I would've known.”
“I know but I'm tired. I want peace.”
“Not like this! Don't do this to me, please..”
I saw a bright light in the tunnel, our great grandmother appeared. She looked so beautiful, her grey long hair was gorgeous. “Gogo!” I ran to her and hugged her tightly. “You're here as well? Papa o kae?”
“He can't see you just yet.” she turned to Keneilwe, “wena it's not your time yet.. go back to the land of the living and deal with your demons!”
Keneilwe shook her head with tears streaming down her face. She walked closer to me but Gogo, pulled me further away from Keneilwe. Everytime she got close, Gogo pulled me back until we were out of the cave but Neilwe could not cross to where we were. She dipped my head into the water until I couldn't breathe...