NINE

KENEILWE MORAPEDI

It's been a week since the bomb, Dolly, threw at me. I have been ignoring Robert, but I know sooner or later I'm going to have to talk to him. I don't know if what Dolly, was telling about Rob, is the truth.
She might have said all of that to have him to herself.
I can't even ask my sister for advice. I'm doomed!
I opened the windows and saw Khumo studying outside.

Things have been very awkward between us. She never speaks to me or at least shout. No matter how rebellious I become, my sister always cares about me but not anymore.
I made us something to eat and juice, then went where she was.
“I thought you might be hungry?”
“Thanks.”
This is not good.. not good at all! “Khumo I know I'm a pain in the ass but you always forgive me.”
“What do you want from me Keneilwe?”
“I want my sister back. I want my Khumo back, I miss her.”
“Unfortunately, she's not coming back any time soon. You said I must stop acting like your mom and that's exactly what I'm doing.”
“I didn't say shut me out. You don't sleep in our room, you don't talk to me not even shout, it's like you no longer care.”
“I don't and if you don't mind I would like to continue with what I was doing?”

I just sat there, not knowing what to say next. I should be happy that she will be off my back now but I'm sad. I never thought there would come a time, where Khumo, would shut me out like she's doing now.
That stunt to call Mom, really blew up in my face. It's like it unleashed a new Khumo. I pushed her further away.

                DORRIS MORAPEDI

*Flashback*

More than ten years ago

I have been spending so much time with Joseph and I enjoy his company. He makes me laugh and forget all the drama's of this world.
I have never introduced Joseph to Motlalepula, I just don't want them to meet as yet. He knows I have a sister and that's it.
“Dorris, when am I meeting this man of yours?”
“Why do you think you have to meet him?”
“His probably ugly that's why.”
“Whatever Motlalepula.”
*End of flashback*

Two months of me and Joseph dating, I fell pregnant. My stepmother was going to kill me. I didn't know what to do. I was a mess. Things between me and Joseph were not going well, we decided to breakup instead. He didn't know that I'm pregnant.
When I was six months pregnant, I got the shock of my life. Motlalepula, was dating my Joseph. I couldn't believe this. Having to pretend that I don't know him, while I did was painful. I saw him almost every single day with my sister.
Hell broke when my sister found out that I dated Joseph. She was a demon! As usual her mother took her side. Apparently I was so jealous of my sister I had to get pregnant.
The stress was not good for me. My pregnancy was hell, I didn't get to enjoy my first pregnancy like other women. I was the happiest woman alive when I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. My happiness was short-lived two months later when I returned from the shops and found my baby cold. I didn't understand how could a baby just go cold when I had left her with Motlalepula.
My life stood still after that. I hated her with everything in me. I have not forgiven her for all the pain she has brought into my life.
What breaks my heart is that Keneilwe is turning out to be just like Motlalepula. She is making Khumo’s life hell. I feel sorry for her. I just hope she is stronger than I was.

             KHUMO MORAPEDI

After I embarrassed myself in Omphile’s room, I have been ignoring his calls. Thinking about how I nearly let him deflower me makes me anxious.
I might act like I'm so strong but my biggest insecurities, is my dark skin and body. I'm not really dark but coming from a family where most members are light and I'm dark, they will remind you of your skin colour every chance they get.
A few days ago I had been having weird dreams about my dad. He looks really sick and there's nothing I can do to help him. I hate my dreams because they always come true. If I dream about someone dying, that person will eventually die, I pray that's not the case with my dad. Speaking of the devil, my phone rang and it was him.
“Papa?”
“Hello Nana.”
“I have been trying to call but I couldn't reach you.”
“Askies Nana, my phone has been giving me problems.”
“Papa are you sick?”
I heard him coughing badly. “I'm not sick my baby, just a little cough.”
“We don't keep secrets from each other Papa. I know you're not well.”
“I'm coming home next week.”
Now that was great news. I'm writing my last two papers next week. “Really? I can't wait to see you.”
“I can't wait to see you too. I have to go now my baby, I love you.”
“I love you too daddy.”

I was not convinced especially with that cough. I went inside the house to take a quick nap...

“Khumo, ngwanaka don't forget to always pray. Life is about to get tough. Those you love will be the one's to hurt you the most. Remember not everyone who smiles with you, loves you. Don't forget who you are. My little rainbow. I love you..”

I fell of the bed and looked around. I saw the curtains sway, I looked out the window but saw nothing.
This dream freaked me out. I have never dreamt of my great-grandmother ever since she left us. Now it felt like she was saying good bye for the second time. She looked sad. Another weird thing that's been happening is, aunty Dorris, being extremely nice. We have sat down, drank coffee and genuinely laugh. Maybe she's the person granny is talking about in my dreams.
Weird dreams is also seeing aunty Dorris, holding a baby that looks exactly like me, in the pictures when I was still a baby. In the dreams it looked like I was looking at myself. The weird thing is that, she was holding a dead baby that looked like me. I could feel her pain as she cried for that baby.

             KENEILWE MORAPEDI

“Come on.. come on..” I was pacing around in our room holding my phone waiting for the big reveal.
After what Dolly said to me, I totally forgot that I bought pregnancy tests. If it turns out that I'm pregnant, I won't even know who the baby belongs to.
The second the phone alarm rang, I quickly removed the tests from underneath the pillow. “Yoh ntate modimo! Jehovah..” I sank onto the floor and cried. How am I going to explain this to our parents?

I quickly dialled Dolly's numbers and thank God she picked up,
“What do you want Keneilwe?”
“Hello to you too.”
“I don't have time for your games, just talk.”
“I'm pregnant!” I blurted it out

Silence

“Hello? Dolly are you still there?”
“What do you mean you're pregnant?”
“That I'm going to have a baby.”
“So you're keeping the baby?”
“I'm not sure yet, I'm thinking of aborting but I can't do it here in the village.”
“Is it Robert’s?”
“I don't know.. he is not the only guy I have been sleeping with.”
“Do what feels right for you.”
“I don't want this baby, I'm still a child myself.”
I heard her laughing. “It's too late for that. You should have thought about that when you started having sex.”

I cut the call and just sat there wondering what I'm going to do. The door abruptly opened. Khumo came in.
The first thing she saw were the positive pregnancy tests. I had no way out of this. She picked them up and studied them for a while without even looking at me.
She's probably about to spit venom.
“Khumo, I can explain.”
That's when she turned and looked at me. “You're pregnant?”
I slowly nodded my head
“Look Khumo, I know I disappointed you but I didn't mean for this to happen.”
“Okay.” She went to our wardrobe and took out something to wear. Before she could leave I held her hand to stop her from leaving.
“What do you mean by ‘okay’?”
“Exactly that Keneilwe. What did you expect me to do? Shout and scream my lungs out? I'm not your mother remember that?”

She left me standing in the middle of the room with my mouth opened.