TEN

KHUMO MORAPEDI

A week later

I couldn't wait to get home and see my dad. After writing our paper, we were told to not leave immediately, there's an announcement that needs to be announced.
“Khumo you have been ignoring me ever since that party. Why?”
“How am I ignoring you Otsile? I have been home studying the entire time.”
“I thought you were going to give us a chance?”
“I never made any promises.”
“I really love you Khumo, I don't know what I have to do to prove it.”

I saw Bianca making her way to my table. “If  I were you Otsile, I would stop trying my luck on this jezebel.”

Now the entire hall was looking at us.

“Did you just call me a jezebel?”
“I think I just did.. what you going to do?”

I kept quiet

“So you think we don't know that you slept with Pula’s brother, Omphile?”

I looked at Pula and he had a smirk on his face. He made his way to my table as well. “I did hear the sounds you made in my brother's room Khumo. No need to be shy, everyone is having sex... I mean even your little sister is.”

The entire hall was filled with laughter. I could feel myself boiling.

“Is this true Khumo?” Otsile
“She's obviously going to lie to you” she put her arm around Otsile’s waist. “She's a slut!”
I have no idea when I got up from my chair, but I slapped Bianca so bad she had a nose bleed and I didn't care. The entire hall was quiet. I went to Pula and stood in front of him.
“Next time you lie like that again, I will crush you! Don't be fooled by my quietness, I will beat the shit out of you and Bianca, do you understand?”

I grabbed my things and left. Tidimalo will tell me what the damn announcement was all about.

       MOTLALEPULA MORAPEDI

I looked at Joseph on the bed coughing non stop. He was getting worse instead of better.
“Mama, can I come in?” I instantly got annoyed. Khumo can rub you off the wrong way. “Come in!”
She immediately ran to her father and hugged him tightly.
“Mama, he doesn't look good.”
“He will get better stop worrying. Let's go out so he can rest.”
“But mama..”
“Are you disobeying me?”

I looked at her as she left the room and smiled. I remembered hearing my boss say he needs a wife and Khumo is the perfect person. I won't have to work anymore. She's going to be our way out from this pathetic life. I sent him a text message,
Sir, are you still looking for a wife?

He replied immediately,
I was joking but do you know someone?

My older daughter will be perfect. She's writing her final paper in a few days time. She's still a virgin. I replied back

Make sure by January she's here. He replied back

I heard some movements on the bed and it was Joseph. “What do you want?”
“Why are you doing this Motlalepula? She's our daughter.”
“Who do you think is going to take care of us when you're not here? Khumo will be okay, stop worrying.”
“Don't do this to our baby please.. why are you so evil?”
“Only now you realise that I'm evil? All these years when you used to sweat on top of me you didn't realise that I'm evil? O sa batla go ntena!” (don't make me angry!)
“I should have stayed with Dorris instead of you! You make me sick! You're the reason I lost my first child with Dorris. I don't know how you fooled me all these years, moloi!”
I hated that name so badly. I walked to our bed and put a pillow over his head and suffocated him. I pressed harder but quickly stopped what I was doing. “I will kill you Joseph! I will kill you.. be warned.”
“You knew that I loved Dorris but you wanted what she had.”
“It's not my fault that I'm prettier than her. You have always been a man whore, just like my father. If he didn't cheat on my mom, there wouldn't be a Dorris that you slept with!”

I slammed the door on my way out and went to Dorris house.

          KHUMO MORAPEDI

I sat on the bed trying to understand what I heard my parents arguing about. My dad used to date aunty Dorris, and she fell pregnant? That should explain the baby that looked like me in my dreams. I remind her of her dead baby.
This was all too much for me. What the hell is going on in this family?
How did dad end up with Mom then? I had so many questions that I couldn't answer.
Now I kind of understand why they never got along. I peeped through the window and saw her heading in the direction of aunt Dorris house. Shit is about to hit the fan!

“Khumo are you in there?”
I opened our bedroom door and Tidimalo and Itsanang were holding snacks.
“Can we come in?” Itsanang
“Yeah sure.”
“You look like you have seen ghosts. What's wrong?” Itsanang
“Huh?.. uhm nothing, I'm okay. What are y'all doing here?”
“We came to check if you're okay after that slap that you gave that bitch!” Tidimalo
I shook my head and laughed. “I'm okay mmata, I still can't believe Pula. Why would he say such lies?”
“He wanted to be the one to tap first but that didn't happen.” Itsanang
“Tap.. as in sleep with me?
Itsanang and Tidimalo nodded
“So, that's why we were invited to the party?”
“I only found out after the party. I didn't tell you because you looked very stressed out.” Tidimalo
“It's okay. He didn't get what he was looking for now he is spreading lies about me? Very pathetic.”
“Have they replied you at the school of fashion?” Tidimalo
“No. I'm glad I applied for a nursing course just in case.”
“We all know you don't want to study nursing.” Tidimalo
“Well if I don't get accepted, I have no choice but to study nursing. It's always been a second option. What about you two?”
“I've been accepted for journalism.” Tidimalo
“Ohh, Mmata congratulations! I'm so happy for you.” I hugged her tightly.
I'm still waiting to be replied at the nursing college. Itsanang
“Were you not joining the army Mmata?”
“That was the plan but maybe in a few years time I will.”

           KENEILWE MORAPEDI

I stood by the door listening to Khumo and her friends talking about their future. Only then did I realise how foolish I have been. Khumo has always been focused. I used to tease her about being uptight but at least she has dreams. What about me? I'm a grade 10 student who does not have dreams and might even fail. I'm pregnant with a baby I don't want.
I pushed away the only person who actually cared about me all these years. No matter how mean me an Mom were to her, she always had my back. Even when we were younger, if I messed up Khumo always has my back.

I went to our parents room to see our father. He really didn't look well. Another human I have hurt. What kind of person am I?
“Papa?”
I saw a smile on his wrinkled face. He tapped the bed. I sat next to him.
“How are you Papa?”
“I feel so much better now that I've seen your face Punkie.”
“Papa! I don't like that name.” we both laughed, until he started coughing up blood.
“Papa, what's wrong?”
“I'm okay my baby. How was school?”
“Papa you can't say you're okay when you're coughing up blood.”
“It's time my baby.. it's time.”
“Time for what? You're scaring me.”
“I want you to know how much I love you Punkie. You and Khumo are my world. How I wish you two would get along as sisters. I don't want you to grow up one day and regret all your choices. Fix things between you and your sister.”
“I have hurt her badly Papa. I don't see her forgiving me this time around.”
“Your sister has a big forgiving heart. She can't stay angry at you forever unless you don't show any remorse. I want you two, to be so happy!” I saw a tear down my dad's face
“I will try Papa.. I will try.”
“I love you Keneilwe, don't ever forget that. You and Khumo will always be my princesses. Do you understand?”
I nodded
“Go and call her for me. I need to speak with her as well.”