Chapter 5

TAI: [Image of a poster]

TAI: Isn't OBGMs one of the indie bands you listen to?

MONTY: Damn they're coming here? Can't make it though, I have a pretty important class and Friday night is the only window I have left to properly study.

TAI: You could have studied earlier.

MONTY: Thank you for telling me that.

I squinted at the screen, trying to discern if that was sarcastic or not. Then I looked back up at the glossy poster pinned to the public bulletin board.

"The Hidden Stars Event is coming to Elizabeth Theatre! Featuring local artists like DeFye, Ebhoni and the OBGMs."

TAI: So you don't want to come?

MONTY: I want to, but my marks will suffer, so I can't. Thanks for asking, but seriously, what's up with ghosting Raj and I? Are you going to see that music manager or not?

MONTY: I feel like you're sinking yourself here. You're not that kind of person that doesn't ask for help when he needs it, so what's up?

MONTY: I'm trying to help.

MONTY: Tell Raj your decision ASAP so they can tell Phiona. Apparently she has a busy schedule.

I leaned against the lobby's cream-coloured wall. This wasn't how I expected my last Uber Eats venture of the day to end up.

My last customer had been a guy from a law firm on the fourth floor of a nondescript building. Uber Eats required less social interaction than driving others around to their destination, but I disliked going up to strangers to exchange words with them. Even the standard "Hi, I'm from Uber Eats. Here is your order. You can tap your card here" statement was life-sapping when you factored in smiling, hand gestures, something-close-to-eye-contact, and adjusting your voice at the right time. I only put on this performance to avoid one-star reviews.

I didn't need to act when I was onstage though. I looked back at the poster with envy.

I thought the idea of reaching out to Phiona would get easier as the days passed and my budget became more stable, but it didn't. I tried to summon good instances where I'd met people for the first time and it had gone well: Monty, Nora....

The elevator dinged. I stepped away from the bulletin board to make way to the lobby's exit--and stopped in my tracks.

"Nora? What's wrong?"

She'd swapped her signature red blazer for a black one. Her cheeks were tinged with red from crying, blending in with her freckles. Her azure eyes were focused straight ahead.

It wasn't until she sped walked right past me that she paused. The clicking of her high heeled boots was replaced with taunt silence, like a horse ready to bolt.

"Tai. I didn't expect you to be here."

Her voice had a tremor, like a beginner violinist in the orchestra's background.

Together we sat on the lobby's public bench. I could tell Nora wanted to lean on me, but if she did, her touch would obliterate my concentration. And this had to be a serious matter. I tried to pull my face in the correct expression, to match what I was feeling and what Nora needed at this moment, but that was like trying to stretch rubber.

Instead, I observed how she kneaded her hands together, and how she kept a stiff posture like she was prepared for an interview, and I floundered for something to say.