Chapter 19 - Gentle Giant

Start bij het begin

"NICE WORK OUT THERE. USUALLY, RUNAWAYS DON'T GET THIS FAR."

"What do you mean?"

Mono raised an eyebrow, both intrigued and scared of what the giant was saying.

"I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN MANY TIMES. THE KIDS TRY TO ESCAPE, THEY GET CAUGHT, USUALLY KILLED, AND THE CYCLE REPEATS." 

The giant lowered his head, letting out a deep sigh. 

"I'M TIRED OF STANDING AROUND AND WATCHING IT HAPPEN OVER AND OVER AGAIN."

"Wow... well, I'm glad we met you."

A slight smile appeared on Mono's face as he looked up into the gasmask the giant was wearing over his face.

"Yeah... I'm glad that not EVERYBODY here is a crazy blood-thirsty maniac."

Six laughed to herself as Seven held a hand up, asking the question that had been on his mind for the past few minutes.

"Were you the same guy who tried to stab me with a harpoon earlier?"

"ME? NO. I'VE NEVER TRIED TO HURT A CHILD LIKE YOU."

"Phew..."

Seven let out a sigh of relief, the giant could hopefully be trusted.

"Alright, uh... we gotta get going soon, so-"

SLAM!!

Six was abruptly cut off as the sound of muffled groaning and smashing was hurt on the other side of the sliding door. The guests were trying to break through the wooden door, wanting to resume the hunt on their prey that lay in wait on the other side of the wall.

"SHIT."

The giant grabbed his harpoon that was resting on the wall next to him and held it off to the side as he lowered his hand out to the floor.

"CLIMB ON."

Mono grabbed onto the giant's clothing and hoisted himself up onto his coat, turning around and helping Six up as Seven gathered all of the nomes who were still trembling in fear, running up the giant's hand and setting the nomes down on the guard's arm.

SMASH!!

The wall suddenly broke open, the large bodies of the guests appearing as they flooded into the tiny room. The guard brandished his harpoon, holding it out at the giants in front of him.

"MOVE BACK RIGHT NOW."

The guests froze in place, groaning and sniffing the air while they slowly backed up on their hands and knees. Keeping his harpoon out in front of him, he began to walk toward the guests, the giants forming a path for him to walk through as he quickly stomped out of the room, fast walking toward the door on the other side.

"WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES?"

The guard lowered his voice as he spoke, glancing over at his shoulder as he addressed them.

"I'm Mono."

"Six."

"Seven!"

The guard opened the door and quickly slammed it shut behind him, crouching down and waiting for the three to go back down onto the floor. They carried their nomes with them as they hopped down onto the floor, Mono turning back around asking him a question.

"So, what about you? What's your name?"

"JASON. ALSO, KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN. SHE HAS EYES EVERYWHERE."

"Yeah, we figured that out the hard way."

Seven said as the giant stood back up, putting his harpoon under a sling on his back.