Chapter Nine: Maria and Caroline

Diana's POV

.........
Flashback

It was evening. The sun was setting down, and the sky looked a mixture of orange and red colors.

I was sitting in the branch of one of the trees, dangling my feet in the air and playing with the tree. I could talk to the trees and plants like Artemis, who could talk to animals.

“Its a wonderful evening. ” I heard its voice.

“Isn't it?” I said nodding. “You like it? ”

“Yes, it's calm. Thank you Diana, for helping and taking care of us. You are the best goddess one could have. ” I heard another heavenly voice. It was the trees speaking.

“Could you stop it? It seems creepy. ” Artemis said.“ You talking to air.”

“You talking to animals also sounds creepy. ” I said making a face at her.

“Could you stop it guys? ” Aurora said jumping high and sitting in another branch.

“Yeah, shut up Diana. ” Artemis said. I nodded at the tree on which Artemis was sitting. I heard it giggle and it shook itself.

Artemis landed on the ground with a thud.

“Ah...Ouch, I can't believe this. I am sorry for calling you creepy. ” She said rubbing herself from the mud stuck to her.

I heard all of them laugh and shake their leaves as if accepting her apology.

“Diana, two girls are running this way, should we help them reach here, or should we let them get lost? ” All of them said in a sing song voice.

The trees were cunning. They had a mind of their own, and they often made people lose themselves in the forests. They loved to play with random citizens who wander in the forest.

“Allow them here.” I said smiling.

“Ah... You are no fun, Diana. ” They said. If trees had faces, they could be pouting now.

Soon, two girls were running towards us.

“What is happening? ” Artemis asked. “They are too skinny and there's no muscles. Have they been starved? ”

“We will know, only when we talk to them. ” I said and Aurora jumped down to the ground. I sat in the tree looking at them.

The girls had tears streaming down their cheeks. They ran towards our direction panting and struggling to walk. We just stood in the shadows of the trees and watched them silently.

“Caroline, I can't walk anymore. I am hungry.” A younger looking girl said. She had long blonde hair, but was covered in dirt and leaves.

“Mariah, we haven't come this far only to be pushed back into that hell again. We will escape. ” Caroline said determind.

I nodded at Aurora and she walked towards them.

“What are you girls doing in this part of the forest and at this hour of the night.” She asked trying to be soft.

“W-We ran away from the pack. They abuse all the omegas and beat us. ” Mariah said sniffing. Artemis looked at them intently trying to search the truth. Even she had the ability to find whether the person was telling the truth or lie.

I nodded quickly at Aurora. They were telling the truth.

“You shouldn't have come here. The forest is dangerous during night. Haven't you heard the tales of the trees playing with the poor mortals? ” Artemis said smirking. But the girls didn't see that.