Chapter Twenty Two: Execution

Author's POV

The warriors pulled the man and held him by his hands.

Ares walked forward and his hand shifted partially.

His smooth muscular arm transformed to a black fur, and his fingers turned to long claws. The rogue tried to escape from the hold on him, but the warriors were more powerful. They held him down and forcefully bowed his head and it almost touched the ground.

Ares took his time in coming near them. He walked slowly, like a predator in front of his prey. Like a hungry wolf in front of a scared rabbit.

Ares plunged his claws into the rogue's chest and twisted his hand. Rick cried out loudly and tried to get away. His screams echoed through the silent ground. People watched him in disgust and stood silently watching their Alpha King give out the punishment for the rogue.

“This will teach you not to mess with me. ” Ares said in a dangerous voice. His voice was so powerful that it shook the ground slightly.

The clouds suddenly gathered and the sky became dark. Lightning struck and it thundered. But people stood still in their places, not moving.

In one swipe Ares slit the rogue's throat and blood poured out from his neck. The warriors let him go, making his hands fall onto his sides. He was already on his knees and suddenly, in slow motion, he fell, his face smacking the ground. Loud breathing sounds were heard from him. He was desperately trying to inhale, and slowly closed his eyes.

Ares looked at his now dead body with no emotion.

This was what it meant, not to mess with the king.

Ares shifted suddenly and ran away in a random direction. His huge wolf form slowly faded away and the people began to go back to their homes.

Charles and Louis ordered the guards to dispose the body and walked back to the castle.

Meanwhile, in the packhouse far away from the castle, Diana felt the familiar tingling sensation in her mind. She woke up and stood, smiling. She shook her head teleported herself to the forest, where her mate was headed.

She felt the soft grass beneath her feet and walked forward.

“My goddess. ” The goblins said bowing and she nodded, smiling.

“I will come back in a few months. We will have our usual festival.” She said and they started dancing happily. Diana laughed and walked to the tree.

There he was, standing in his huge black wolf form. His fur was shining brightly in the moonlight and it camouflaged well with the darkness of the night.

She sat on her stone-like chair and again dangled her feet in the cool water.

“King Ares. Good to see you here. ” She said smiling. He looked at her suddenly, and his golden eyes widened slightly. He shifted back to his human form and looked at her, bowing his head.

“You don't need to bow your head to me, King Ares. ” She said in her sweet voice which made Ares close his eyes for a second. He didn't understand why he felt so calm around her. Must be a goddess thing.

“Goddess. I am sorry for coming here.” He said, looking everywhere but Her.

“I don't mind you coming here, King Ares. I am happy that you find this place peaceful. But I sense that you are troubled. What is it? ” She asked looking directly into his emerald green eyes.

“I just killed a rogue. ” Ares sighed and sat next to her. Diana nodded as if telling him to continue. “He spoke some dirty things about my mate and how his leader would take her, after killing me. ”

Diana just hummed silently looking at the dazzling water.

“I-I am scared for her life. I know I shouldn't say this. But I don't want her to get tangled in my mess. ” Ares said with tears in his eyes. Diana's heart clenched slightly, seeing his tears. She felt bad and wanted to forget all her plans and hug him tightly to her chest and tell him that everything would be alright.

But she refrained herself and held her hands tightly, close to her so that she wouldn't do something that would bring all her plans to dirt.

“King Ares, do you remember what Lynnor said when you were fifteen? ” She asked silently looking into his eyes. He nodded slowly remembering that ungrateful day very clearly.

“What happens if you reject her? ” She said in her soft voice like a mother consoling her child, which tugged Ares's heart, making him sad again. He felt some unknown emotion.

“She will also get hurt,” Ares said silently, sniffing. He may seem strong and fierce on the outside, but he was a broken man on the inside.

He had spent his whole childhood in sorrow and misery due to his parent's behavior towards him and he didn't like the betrayal of his so-called uncle.

Diana had to help him, she had to mend the broken pieces of his broken heart.

“King Ares, don't worry. There's always a solution for every problem. And you will find your solution soon. Just don't plan to reject her. ” She said calmly.

He nodded slowly and looked at her blurred face. He felt this immense need to see her face and hug her. But he didn't understand the reason for it.

He looked into her warm blue eyes, which gave him the courage to face any enemy.

“Now it's time to go, Ares. You should have a nice sleep. Goodbye. ” Diana said and waved her hand again, making him close his eyes and be teleported back to his castle.

She sighed sadly and teleported herself back to the packhouse.

“What happened Diana? ” Artemis and Aurora asked worriedly.

“Nothing. He was feeling sad. ” She said and sat on her bed. They nodded slowly looking at each other and then dozed off to sleep after a few minutes.

........................................................................

A/N: I am sorry for this late update.. But I haven't been writing anything for a while now she to the pressure of my exams.. 

The updates will a bit slow.  I am sorry 😕

So thoughts on this chapter?

What do you guys think about Ares?  Will he reject Diana? 👀Or will he accept her?

What might happen next? 🤔

Vote and comment guys!! 🙂🙂