Chapter 12

His pen flew over the page, the foreign language flowing from the tip, letters molding into the shape of Eren's writing, cleverly imitated, so well, that Eren could have mistaken it for his own. Despite being tutored in French by Levi the past two weeks, Eren felt like no knowledge whatsoever had been absorbed by his brain. Levi had reluctantly accepted to help him out in the test, after Eren resorted to threats of removing all of the tea in the house, hissing across the table, eyes darting over to where Mr. Pixis was standing, making sure he didn't see them.

Mr. Pixis had allowed them to return to their original seats, but Eren didn't feel capable of properly facing Armin or Mikasa, after he distanced himself from them, driving a wedge between them. If they were together, he felt uneasy, seeing the clouded glances his two closest friends gave him, having only short exchanges if the occasion arose. Knowing full well it was his fault didn't help. Eren still hung out with his friends, occasionally, whenever he didn't say he was busy studying, being a good host to Levi, or helping out his mother since Grisha had left. The goodbyes on Friday evening were the coldest ones given by the angry brunette. He couldn't for the life of him comprehend why Grisha decided to come home for barely five minutes, just to give a two second goodbye after grabbing the bags and lunch Carla had packed for him, handing Eren a list of things to do after he left because he "didn't have time". To be precise, a letter to hand in to the post office, another to the Sina Hospital secretary, and then a box of items to pick up that Grisha had ordered from Sally's Savings. Needless to say, Eren didn't return his hug, and only uttered the faintest "goodbye", not feeling the least bit sad as he watched the front door close behind Grisha's figure.

Since then, both him and Levi made an effort to help around the house, providing some bonding time and a whole lot of yelling at Eren because he didn't clean up properly. Eren wholeheartedly disagreed with him, but Levi was too menacing and decisive to be reasoned with, so he gave up protesting.

"Done, you owe me one brat." Levi slid the sheets over onto Eren's table, allowing him to add his name to the test papers. "I made some mistakes."

Eren looked at him quizzically, flipping through the three sheets, searching for the mistakes.

"Or else he'd definitely know you cheated."

"Oh so this is your way of telling me I'm terrible at French, huh ?"

"A nicer way."

"Shut up."

"Actually young man, it will be your turn to "shut up", as you so kindly put it. May I remind you that no talking is permitted during a test ?" Mr. Pixis spoke quietly, as to not disturb the other students bent over their papers, raising his eyebrows warningly at Eren.

"Sorry sir, we were done with our tests, so ..."

"You should know better, Eren. Now, please wait silently for the bell to ring, you two." Mr. Pixis picked up their sheets, walking back towards his desk.

"Yes sir," said Eren meekly, hiding his smile behind his hand. Once Mr. Pixis was out of earshot, he whispered "Success !", grinning at Levi.

Levi rolled his eyes at him, laying back on the back of his chair.

"That was great !"

"Little cheat," chided Levi, expressionless.

"Hey ! You a -"

"Mr. Yaeger !"

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

A delicate hand grabbed his shoulder, spinning him towards the angelic face surrounded by a halo of golden hair belonging to Historia. "Do you want to come have lunch with me, Annaëlle and Sasha after gym ? Text me ! Catch you later, Ery !"