Chapter 6

"You changed the alarm's ringtone" noticed Levi, as he reached over a barely awake Eren and silenced the alarm.

"Yeah."

"It's not bad, definitely better than the one you had before. Are you doing all right ?"

"I'm fine, thanks. How long have you been awake for ?"

Eren was curled up near Levi's legs, avoiding his steady gaze. The raven was sitting up against the bed's headboard, looking down at him.
"For about twenty three hours. Maybe twenty four if you want to make it sound rounder."

Eren looked up to Levi, astounded. "You didn't sleep at all ?"

"No, I figured it would be best if I stayed awake in case you had a repeat of last night."

Eren brought his guilty gaze down to Levi's black sweatpants, chewing on his lip, as he meticulously picked away the skin with his thumb, the taste of copper beginning to taint his tongue. "You didn't have to stay up for me ... I'm sorry about that by the way, I didn't intend to make you wake up and not sleep again." He paused, afraid what he was about to add would be wrong. "Or make you worry."

Levi's eyebrows moved a fraction upwards and closer to each other. "I was awake anyway, and I wouldn't have been able to get back to sleep after that. I have to ask, why did you have a panic attack ? You said you couldn't do anything, what was that about ?"

"It's nothing, I can't remember what I dreamt about."

"You really can't be thinking I'll believe that blatant lie" scoffed Levi.

"It's not a lie. I have no idea what happened." Eren knew Levi wasn't dumb, but Levi wasn't the only one he was trying to convince. He could recall the dream perfectly. Too vividly. A nightmare he never wanted to find in his dreams again. One he wanted to forget with every inch of his guilty soul.

"Sure" said Levi, the word dripping of sarcasm. Eren was thankful Levi had the judgement to not press him for answers, even though Eren was well aware he wouldn't leave the matter to float away. Although he was glad Levi was measuring his words, and sanding off any rough, cutting edges, Eren didn't wish to have to tell Levi about his dream, to make him worry (because he saw a hint of concern coming from Levi) or have to take care of him when their bond was walking on a tightrope. He didn't want to do anything to make it lose its balance, but he decided to avoid talking to Levi if he could. It made him feel terrible, especially since he had tried - Levi as well - engaging in conversations, spending time, and reaching out to the raven. And Levi was making an effort on his side, one Eren appreciated a lot.
Guilt gnawed his mind as they got ready for school in silence. Eren caught Levi sliding him the occasional glance, and hoped he thought of his silence only as him being preoccupied by other elements.

As they got closer to the gates, Eren halted, grabbing Levi's - who was walking a bit quicker to match Eren's long legged pace - arm to stop him.
"Don't mention this to anyone, especially not Mikasa or Armin. Mikasa worries a lot, and I'd hate to be the cause of her worries."

"Right, I won't say anything", confirmed Levi.
Taking a deep breath, placing a serene expression into his previously cloudy face, Eren strode through the gates, spotting the blond bob beside a longer, darker one belonging to his friends on a bench. Levi parted ways with him, and they both joined their respective companions.
"Eren ! How was your weekend ?" greeted Armin, eyes crinkling.

"Pretty good, we went to LA, spent a couple of hours at the beach, visited the Santa Monica Pier, ate candy floss ... It was relaxing, no fights, no studying - could I read over your slips Mikasa ? - and no horse-faced idiot failing to announce to his freckled crush that he likes him" he grinned softly as they passed by the two guys shyly talking to each other.