“Okay, choose the movie and I’ll go get the ice cream.”

“Dad, can we have ice cream cones?” Angel asks following me.

“Yes, that’s what we are having. Do you want to help?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

The next day, we commence the day without a glitch. They are ready to head to school wearing their new clothes and new backpack. I smile at their excitement. Last year, they were nervous, but not this year.

“Daddy, I’m ready for school!” Celestine announces.

“Me too!” Angel exclaims.

“I know, but I want to take a photo first.”

“Daddy.” Celestine says.

“Nope, you know I will be taking photos every time I want to.” I smile. “Besides, you both look beautiful. Stand next to each other, hurry.”

They move to stand next to each other and hold hands. I smile. I wonder how long that is going to last and if one is going to be taller than the other. Right now, they are the same height.

“Ready?”

“Yes.” They respond as I click away.

“Also with Rocky?” Angel asks.

“Of course.” I respond.

They call Rocky to them for a couple of photos. After making sure Rocky has water and food, we get in the car and head to school.

“Dad, do you think we will have some of our friends from last year?” Celestine asks.

“I don’t know, but you will see them.”

“I’m happy we are in the same class.” Angel says.

“Me too.” Celestine says.

“You can look after each other, but behave.” I say.

“Yes, dad. I do.” Angel says.

“We are here. I’ll walk you to your classroom and then I’ll have to say goodbye.” I say as I park the car.

“Yes, dad.” Celestine says. 

Holding them by the hand we head inside the school.

“Can we have pizza after school?” Angel asks.

“We had pizza a few days ago.”

“But dad, it’s to celebrate our first day of first grade.”

“Yes, dad.” Celestine agrees.

“Okay, we can make an exception. We will pick it up after school.”

“Thank you.” Celestine says.

“You’re welcome. Now I want both of you to behave and pay attention in class.”

“Yes, dad.” Angel promises. 

“Good morning, Ms. Alvarez.” I greet the teacher, who is standing at the door.

“Good morning and what are your names?” She asks.

“I’m Celestine Valle Castro.”

“I’m Angel Valle Castro.”

“It’s nice to meet you all.” She says. “You both have beautiful names. You can come into the classroom and find your desk. They have your name.”

“Thank you.” Celestine says.

Angel nods.

“You’re their dads?” She asks.

“Yes, Cristian. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, Cristian. I’ll be sending home some forms that will need to be filled out; they’re for me to learn more about my students.”

“They will be filled out and returned.”

“Thank you. Is there anything I should now about your children?”

“They are missing their other dad. He had to go on a business trip, but they are excited to be here.”

I see her trying to hold in a grin, “Okay, thank you. I’m glad that they’re excited; we have some fun learning activities today.”

Good, she took it in stride. I nod smiling. “I have to go, it was nice meeting you and I’ll see you when I pick them up.”

“Yes, you can say goodbye if you want.”

“Thank you.”

--------------

Thank you for reading, commenting, and/or voting :).