CHAPTER 35 ↠ reconciliation and second-guessing

Start from the beginning

"That's fine, we'll figure it out on our way. See you later, Bea."

"Until then, Jack Bradley."

Bea was sitting down, in the big sofa in front of the table, finishing her make-up and with earrings and necklaces in front of her to decide which one would better go with her red dress, when Michael walked inside the suite.

"Beatrice! There you are!" he says relieved. "I went looking for you everywhere."

"I've been here for hours," she says confused. "Did you forget to look here?"

"I left in the morning, since you didn't return,"

"And you only came back now?" she questions suspicious. "I know New York is a big city, but there are only so many places I could be in. Maybe you should have tried the other rooms in this hotel," she says mocking.

"You stayed in another room the night? I asked the front desk but they didn't tell me anything."

"Guest's privacy and... did you ask the night worker? Because since I booked the room with the night one and maybe he could just tell you that I was in fact in the hotel, maybe just not which room."

"I was worried to death!" Michael says angrily.

"Well, calm down... You've always been a bit dramatic, haven't you? Maybe hedgehog would really be good for you," Bea affirms with a look of resent.

Michael scoffed, annoyed by Bea's comments.

"I should be the one upset! I told you not to go and you did anyway," Bea affirms as she puts on some earrings.

"Except for the fact that I didn't," Michael corrects her.

Bea stops and looks at Michael. "You didn't?"

"No. I got near the place only to meet Gina and tell her that I wasn't going in after all. And then I returned and went looking for you."

Bea put the earring down and tried to contain the boastful smile forming on her face. She always liked to be right and to have things her own way. It wasn't as bad since hanging around the Peaky Blinders, but still, it was good to know that her warnings about the dangers and illegalities of the party were, in the end, heard.

"Good for you."

Michael breathes deeply to calm down before speaking again.

"You going somewhere?"

"To dinner."

"Where? I'll join you," Michael offers, guessing she was going alone.

"I already have company, thank you very much," Bea says pompously.

"Who?" Michael asks confused.

"Jack Bradley, of course. He'll be here any minute now."

"Bradley?" Michael scoffs again. "I was worried about you for the entire night and day and now you're going to have dinner with Bradley."