Ever since Ri Haneul came into their lives, Yoon Seri had found herself seeking peace and quiet more but was nevertheless bound to her duty as the chairperson. Already, Seri was exhausted, and she would occasionally gaze over at the exit sign which held the promise of a journey home. Next to her, Ri Jeong Hyeok was cradling Haneul gently in his arms, keeping her safe from the rowdy bantering happening right next to them.

One could only imagine their shock when they crossed paths with a woman that they didn't think they would ever meet again. Seri's relationship with Se Hyung wasn't the best, but it had improved drastically since she became a mother and since he cut off Sang-ah's manipulative ideologies for good. Now that the woman who caused many grievances to them was standing right in front of them, Seri truly didn't know what to say.

The protective instinct within him kicked in then and the former military captain subtly moved to shield Seri from Sang-ah, eyeing her warily as he handed Haneul to his wife. The sudden rise of tension punctuated the air thickly, for they had a gut feeling that Sang-ah was up to no good.

"It's been a while." Sang-ah greeted the couple formally with her usual air of cool.

"It has. This meeting is..." Seri swallowed. "Surprising."

Boldly, Seri took a step closer to Sang-ah to prove that she wasn't afraid of her. Her brother's life was in shambles because of this woman and his own idiocy, but it took a true monster to partake in a murder so casually.

Yoon Seri never liked Sang-ah to being with and her gut feeling was never wrong. There was something fishy going on with that woman, and Seri wasn't foolish enough to trust her.

What exactly did she want?

"I was in the area and thought it would be nice to catch a performance. I must say, this is quite an empire you've established here." Sang-ah droned on flippantly.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have nothing more we wish to say to you. It'll be wise for us to part before I lose my patience." Seri spoke with a smile despite the threat in her voice.

"Suit yourself. Drive safely, Mr Ri. I heard runaway deers are pretty common on such nights. The last thing we would want is..." Sang-ah snickered. "A tragedy on such a snowy night."

If only Seri had listened to her gut that night.

It was unfortunate that the monster won that night.

❦❦❦

In the present

Meanwhile, Devil Yoon and Angel Ri remained none the wiser about the true villain of their past lives. To an angel and devil who couldn't remember much, life carried on normally – or as normal as it could get with the sudden onslaught of memories seeping past the locks in their minds.

Those memories of their past lives came at the most inconvenient times, but they weren't complaining since they were relieved that they were finding parts of themselves again through those memories.

In the wake of their dreams and in the little moments with one another, the devil and angel remembered flashes of their past lives, although neither of them could put a face to their past lover.

There was a scented candle, flickering lights, checkered sheets, grassy patches, a tomato plant with a red bow and a whisper of "piano".

At times they could hear the rush of wind against their ears, as though they had been free-falling through the skies. Except, they weren't alone. Devil Yoon could still remember the comforting feeling of a well-muscled chest pressed to her left cheek, and the feeling of large palm cradling her head gently, shielding her from danger.