Devil in White

Day 16 Cloytober: Hair

❦❦❦

High up above where the Tree of Life stood rooted in heaven's garden, the messengers of heaven flocked the ancient tree in a flurry of white, flying back and forth to deliver the scrolls sprouting on the stalks to their fellow angels.

From far, there was nothing truly different about these messengers who took the form of doves in their pristine white beauty. But upon a closer look, one would be able to make out the sparkles of gold that lined the edges of their wings, marking them as heaven's workers, born to soar for the greater good.

That morning, the scrolls appeared right after the majority of the angels departed for their duties. One by one, the doves swooped down to pick up a scroll, before they flew down to earth in search of their angel.

Down on earth, angels and devils alike looked up when the birds flew across their heads, their eyes trained on the earthen ground below. The gusts of wind beating against their wings only highlighted the power behind their movements as they flew in formation. Every time a dove would leave its team to deliver its scroll to its angel, the doves would rearrange themselves until they were flying together, akin to an arrow shooting across the sky. 

"Amazing." Seri gaped at the skies as Ri Jeong Hyeok looked up as well.

The angel thought nothing of the odd dove formation until one of them strayed from the flock and flew down to him.

Splat!

Seri let out a loud screech when she felt a sudden weight on her head. It would appear that the dove had taken a dump on Seri's hair. Things would have been a lot calmer if the little dove hadn't done what it did. So, it was not surprising that the devil was full of complaints as she glowered at the dove.

A dove that was gazing haughtily at her – if that were possible to a bird – as she fluttered down to perch lightly on Ri Jeong Hyeok's finger.

"Edelweiss, what do you have for me?" Ri Jeong Hyeok cooed, completely ignorant to Seri's full glower as he took the scroll from the dove.

Edelweiss was a dove with attitude. Already, the devil didn't think they could ever get along. It only annoyed the devil more that her angel partner seemed more concerned about the wretched bird than her, the true victim of this unfortunate ordeal.

Was she jealous of a bird?

What has her life come down to?

After taking a glance at the contents of the scroll, Ri Jeong Hyeok finally turned to Seri with a small smile on his face.

"Seri ssi, are you afraid of birds? Come say hello to Edelweiss. She won't bite, I promise." Ri Jeong Hyeok waved her over innocently, careful not to startle Edelweiss who was still pruning her feathers quietly.

"She won't bite but she will most certainly shit on me again," Seri muttered angrily to herself.

Nevertheless, she sashayed over to Ri Jeong Hyeok's side again, all the while glaring daggers at the bird. She couldn't for the life of her understand why Ri Jeong Hyeok loved the bird so much, judging from how he was clicking his tongue lightly at Edelweiss and feeding her bread crumbs with his palm.

Lord only knows where those bread crumbs came from. Seri simply didn't know that the angel often visited Edelweiss during his free time and always kept a snack in his pocket.

To him, the brilliant dove was his good friend too.

"She seems fond of you," Seri commented tersely when Edelweiss nuzzled her beak against Ri Jeong Hyeok's palms gently.