Chapter 111

Boom. Thunder rumbles in the distance, but closer every time. The storm approaches, and dark clouds are crowding the grey sky.
Boom. The thump of millions of creature's wings, the propellors and engines of the aircraft create a roar of sound around me.
Boom. Purr fires the first missile before we even clear the wall. It whirls through the air, and, like always when I enter battle, my adrenaline kicks up to an inhuman level.
So the world slows down.
Sir Blarg roars, a long, slightly warbled, drawn out sound, louder than ever before, and the army screams their assorted battle cries, and the missile hits the City Wall with deafening impact.
Boom.
Kudos to the builders of the City, the wall holds.
It's gonna be a bad day.
More soldiers fire more missiles, all at once... which might not be the best planning on their part...
A dozen projectiles collide all at once just as we flying troops pass over the walls.
You get the picture.
There's an actual shock that wave resonates outwards from the spot of impact, and I grab Blarg to stay on, while my hair is blown vertically on my hair. The heat comes next, and we rise up another forty feet on the thermal, and the ground becomes wavy with the heat, making me a little dizzy.
Time speeds up again, now that the initial surge is over, and I glance back over my shoulder, where theres a hundred foot gap in the Glass Wall, with fragments lying scattered here and there in the grass.
With an ear-shattering roar, the earth-bound Beasts charge.
The faster ones soon spread away from the others, cat-like predators running on swift feet with lithe movements. They flow over the too-green artificial grass, and then some begin to run vertically up the sides of buildings, their paws somehow gripping the smooth glossy surfaces.
I suddenly have deja-vu. I check the ground back by the wall, scanning it for a mysterious lone archer... But, no, that was just a dream... Coal is locked away in the Palace, and besides, why would he turn fire on us?
City dwellers begin to realize what's going on. Having no experience in what to do when under siege, they converge on the bridges and paths hundreds of feet above the ground to check it out. Then they look up.
Their perfect little human eyes widen in surprise when they see the army of Beast and Man soaring above their heads. Countless creatures swarm the mushroom shaped tops of buildings, shattering glass and tearing up buildings, roaring in victory as they demolish the pristine First City.
They never directly attack the helpless City-dwellers, naive in their own perfection, who shriek and cower as their homes are torn apart. Indeed, soldiers detach the walk ways and lower them to the ground, where the vast majority of the population runs away screaming into the Wold.
And so the hunters become the hunted.
"Free the Workers!" I cry to Glass, who soars in beside me. "Liberate the Predators! Let them have vengeance!" He swoops away immediately.
I feel oddly triumphant, but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my head, like this is too good to be true, like I've forgotten something important...
Boom.
Right. Defense.