Chapter 59

"The Order. Will. Fall!!!"
I shout it at the top of my lungs, face drawn into a mask of rage, the ear-splitting roar of the army standing before me filling my head.
I turn away, my armor clanking, the braces on my arms cool and heavy, chain mail clinking like a miniature orchestra.
My feet pound against the stone of the cliff, and I approach the edge at top speed, not hesitating when I reach the end, but hurling myself freely off.
I'm weightless, and my stomach drops, and, instinctively, I close my eyes, though I have the feeling I've done this many times before.
And, as expected, the breath is knocked out me when I hit something solid and firm. Gasping, and opening my eyes, I dig my hands reassuringly into the deep, shaggy fur of the creature below me, which releases it's claws from the side of the cliff, and obediently hurtles down through the air.
Hastily, I press my body close to my steed's back, so the wind won't get between us and force me off. Rapidly, the ground rises up to meet us, the rapid pressure increase popping my ears.
Suddenly, with a jerk that makes me bounce on the creature's thick back, huge, white wings snap out and catch the air, forcing us to a skid-less stop.
Regaining my breath, I look down at the creature below me for the first time...
My eyes open.
"What do you think you're freaking doing!!!"
Coal is bent over me, screaming over the sound of the battle of the Beasts, that concussive thunder of growls and roars.
"I...I..." The strength I felt before has faded, and I'm dropping out of the haze, the pain returning to my body, and I doubt I could get up if I wanted to.
Coal whirls suddenly, and brings his swords together in a deadly X on the padded bottom of a Beast's paw. Blood flies. The pained howling of the wounded creature slices through the collective sounds of battle like- Ha- A sword.
"Stop!" I shriek suddenly, when Coal turns back to me, an eyebrow raised, confusion clear on his face, even through his hardened mask. I realize I should probably explain further. "Don't kill them!"
"Why not?" He says, half-laughing because he thinks I'm the one who's gone nuts, and then he spins, launching himself into the air, hits the ground in a tuck-and-roll, right between the front legs of a rather surprised looking creature, before deftly plunging both blades deep into the furry chest.
Soundlessly the Beast's black eyes roll back into it's skull, and it crumples to the side, mouth slightly open.
"STOP!" I scream, much more loudly than intended. In fact, so loudly, the sound resonating through the bowl, as I've come to think of the peak. (Maybe that shoulder be capitalized. Let's go with the Bowl, that seems right.) My shriek spreads like a shockwave through the air, creating a rippling effect when it seems to hit the creatures, causing them to freeze where they are. When all sound has faded, but that of the wind whistling overhead, and the beating of my heart, every good eye on the mountain turns to me, both the Beasts, and Coal.
What now?