60. epilogue (2)

ricky blinked a few times, trying to make sure this moment was actually happening.

he hasn't seen her since the day of her birthday ball. the day they said goodbye. the day they accepted the fact that they could never be...

he'd only seen pictures of her since then, the news on the tv from time to time talking about how she changed things for the better in autonia, modernized it yet kept up their classic cultural traditions.

but seeing her now in real life, in front of him. just a few steps away. she looked different yet the exact same. her long brown hair became a darker shade of brown, her features were more mature but her golden-brown eyes and perfect smile were the same.

"nini." he whispered, looking at her

"hi ricky..." she replied quietly

they both stood there for a few seconds before he took a deep breath

"what-what are you doing here?" he asked her in confusion "aren't you-i thought-"

"i'm visiting." she answered "it's-it's one of the places i have to travel to for the new charities-and-i read about this place and...thought of you...so, here i am."

ricky felt his heart warm up at that.

she came to see him?

he nodded "that's...pretty spontaneous of you." he said with a lopsided smile

nini laughed softly and nodded "i think the better word in this case is insane...but i guess that could work too."

ricky chuckled and let out a small breath as he continued to look at her. his smile widening at the sound of her own laugh. the same wondrous laugh he adored.

"...what?" she asked

"sorry, i-it's just-you don't wear a ribbon in your hair anymore," he pointed out, gesturing to her hair that was let out for her waves to fall around her face

nini opened her mouth and blushed slightly, remembering their conversation about her 'signature hairstyle.'

she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear shyly and shook her head "i-i didn't think you would've remembered that..."

"it was us nini," he said softly "i haven't forgotten anything."

nini's eyes lit up as she looked at him in relief and hope before her gaze travelled down to his wrist "i-i see..."

ricky looked down and brought his other hand to the chain, tracing his thumb over the locket

he returned nini's gaze and nodded "um...do you...still wear-"

nini took another step closer to the counter and showed him her right hand, her left hand fingers fiddling with the ring that was on her right index.

"i told you i'd grow into it..."

he shook his head with a small smile as she laughed, the two soon falling silent as they stared back at one another.

"i...haven't forgotten anything from us either." she added

ricky smiled at her softly, nodding as he looked down and cleared his throat "um-right, well, i have to clear these pastries out-"

"oh! it's okay, i'll wait out here-i have a bit of time..." she said kindly

"or...if you want you could come with me in the kitchen, i'll let you eat some." he grinned

nini found her old smirk she would wear every second of her youth life, letting out a laugh of disbelief as she hesitantly followed the man into the kitchen