21. wildwood

nini came out of her room at five minutes before six in the evening, wearing a casual outfit; blue jeans with a white top and a pink cardigan.

she smiled to herself as she finished up tying her hair into a high bun, skipping out of her room "okay, aunt erica i'm leaving!"

"wait-where?" the woman asked in confusion as she walked out of the kitchen

"i'm going out to dinner with ricky. i told you this..." nini said, suddenly doubting the last few words

"oh! the date." erica grinned "alright, have fun."

"w-" nini parted her mouth in confusion, blinking a few times before she cleared her throat and rushed after her "pardon me, but-i could've sworn i just heard you say 'date'??"

erica chuckled as she turned the stove on "is that not what it is?"

"...depends what exactly...you mean by a date..." nini said quietly

the woman suddenly spun around with her eyebrows raised "you do know what a date is don't you?"

nini scoffed a laugh, nervously folding her arms "o-of course i know-what a date is...it's-it's exactly as it sounds..."

erica hummed, nodding as an amused smile formed on her lips "so, you know that date's are romantic and with two people who have feelings for one another as more than just a friend?"

nini's eyes widened slightly and she felt glued to her spot, her body freezing "f-feelings?"

erica nodded, turning around to prepare a pan before the brunette girl suddenly started heavily breathing

"oh...dear," she muttered, pacing back and forth frantically "f-feelings? d-does ricky-did he-am i...w-feelings?!"

erica sighed, making her way towards her niece "nini, calm down-"

"oh, it's a little too late to calm down, my heart is...it's rhythm is fastening and-it's getting hot in here, is it warm in here? maybe i should've not worn a cardigan-i feel-"

"stop." erica demanded, grabbing the girl by the shoulders as she looked her right in the eyes "i didn't mean to freak you out, i was...just kidding. aunt humor. okay?"

"b-but you think ricky-"

"no!" erica said with a forced smile, shaking her head "i was just messing with you. don't worry. you and ricky are friends. don't let my words doubt it okay?"

nini exhaled slowly before nodding hesitantly "o-okay...that wasn't necessary by the way."

erica chuckled "i didn't think you were going to go full benjamin-overthink on me."

nini cracked a small smile, shaking her head "sorry...i guess i'm just...nervous..."

"don't apologize, i guess it's a normal reaction from you, with the 'first-"

"okay, i'm leaving before you freak me out again!" nini exclaimed with a nervous laugh as she rushed towards the front door, almost hearing erica's smirk on her face with every step she took.

nini made her way down the spiral staircase, coming to a halt as she thought back to what just happened. she brought her hand up to her necklace, fiddling with the feather locket charm nervously.

she took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a few moments before shaking her head "okay. it's out of your mind. done."

the next few steps, nini forced the thoughts out of her mind as she entered the semi-crowded café, seeing a few customers come and go while ricky walked out of the kitchen doorway, his apron off.

"oh hey!" ricky breathed when he caught sight of the girl "um...you ready?"

nini put on her charming smile as she jumped "yup! let's go."

ricky nodded, gesturing towards the door "after you princess."

nini rolled her eyes playfully as she laughed, exiting the café with ricky following her.

the two made their way down the sunset-lit sidewalk as nini continued to fiddle with her necklace, looking around her in awe at the sights of salt lake city - she still wasn't quite used to it.

ricky glanced at the girl for a few seconds before taking a deep breath "so, what's this restaurant you want to try?"

nini snapped her head towards him "hm?"

"the restaurant."

"oh!" nini exclaimed before laughing "um-yeah. yes. right, it's this place called wildwood. apparently they have burgers."

"if i knew any better i'd say that's your new favorite food?" he grinned

nini nodded with a smirk "what can i say? they're delicious."

ricky chuckled as they continued walking "well, i've never been there."

"where exactly do you go?" nini asked interested "surely you're not always at the café. you must go other places."

ricky looked back at her, shrugging his shoulders "apart from big red's basement and school. not really..."

nini kept her eyes on him for a few seconds before clearing her throat as she looked in front of her "oh, there's the restaurant."

the two both made their way inside, nini hugged the cardigan against herself as she smiled brightly

"it's so charming in here!" she beamed

ricky smiled to himself when he glanced at her before he exhaled deeply "why don't you go get a table, i just have to do something..."

nini glanced back at him and nodded slowly "sounds like a plan." she grinned, leaving the curly-haired boy to do as he suggested while he made his way towards the bathroom

he sighed, taking his phone out, tapping a few times before soon bringing it up to his ear and waiting until the call was answered

"hey dude-"

"i can hear the smirk on your face, wipe it off now." ricky said, rolling his eyes as he checked around him and lowered his tone

big red's laugh was heard through the phone along with a small sigh "why are you so uptight tonight?"

ricky bit his teeth together "red-"

"relax, he's kidding." ashlyn's voice came through

"how'd the date ricky?" gina's voice now is heard

ricky groans, leaning against the wall "how many of you are there-"

"oh, we're all here." carlos' distant - but hearable - voice added

ricky brought his hand up to his face "i'm hanging up now."

"oh relax!" seb chuckled "we're all rooting for you during your date-"

"it's not a date!" ricky whispered

"what restaurant are you at?"

"...wildwood?"

"you mean the restaurant me and gi went on our first date?" ej asked - even though he wasn't standing in front of the boy, ricky could see visibly the smirk that was on his face

ricky swallowed "you both went to an escape room for your anniversary, i don't think i should take dating advice from you."

"says the guy who's never kissed a girl!" gina exclaimed

ricky sighed "okay, now i'm really hanging up-"

"ricky, just be yourself." kourtney said before humming "actually-wait-no, forget that."

"okay, bye!" ricky exclaimed, ignoring the multiple protests and hanging up the call abruptly before he leaned his head back against the wall.

he exhaled slowly and deeply, feeling a sense of nerves build up inside of him before slowly making his way out of the little hallway.

ricky stopped when he caught sight of nini seated at a table, fiddling with her necklace as she watched the window intently. he felt a sense of something stir inside of him - choosing to just believe it was hunger as he slowly made his way towards her.