Chapter 6 - Trouble

After a while, Cameron does manage to slip away back to his shared room with Oliver, but Tommy soon barges in and takes a seat at his desk, swinging back and forth on the chair and flicking through Cameron's things.

"The other two were thinking of going to a party tonight, you want to come?"

Cameron folds one of his clean shirts, moving to his small chest of drawers to put it away.

"No thanks."

Tommy hums, the air of the room turning awkward as Cameron continues to ignore him and put both his and Oliver's washing away. He was hoping Tommy would get the message and leave him alone.

"So, is that Maddy girl your girlfriend?"

Cam blinks, frowning as he turns around and takes a seat on his bed.

"She's just a friend."

The man raises a brow, scratching at his chin. "Right," the word drags out. "A friend that you kiss and hug and talk about literally all the damn time?"

"I don't talk about her all the time."

Tommy scoffs, reaching to grab Cameron's phone off of his nightstand and unlocking it with a swipe of his finger.

"Your last message was to her asking... where Brandon left your belt? What the f—"

Cam snatches his phone back, cheeks tinging pink. "Get your mind our of the gutter. He needed a belt for a work thing, and I had one he could use."

Tommy looks at him strangely. "You know it's not normal to share your belts with people, right?"

Cameron purses his lips. He really needed to put a passcode on his phone.

"Brandon's a friend. I don't see what's wrong with helping him out."

Was it weird to be sharing clothes with friends? Cameron had always done it with the other four. He was constantly wearing Brandon's too big jumpers or borrowing Oliver's pants. At times he'd even borrowed a few of Maddy and Lia's things. They were like family to him, so what was the big deal?

"Then why are you asking Maddy about your belt that you gave to Brandon?"

Well, it made sense to Cameron. Brandon lived with Maddy, so why wouldn't she know where he left his belt?

"They're roommates?"

Tommy's chair squeaks as he does a spin, the grey hood of his jumper flipping down off of his unkept mop of ginger hair.

"Roommates don't know where their other roommate's shit is. Especially when you have a girl and guy living together. Look at me and you, do I know anything about you?"

Cam hesitates. "No."

Tommy lifts his hands into the air. "Exactly."

He may have had a point. All the boys that lived here, excluding Ollie, tended to avoid each other unless they were planning a party, pranking one another, or fighting over the last slice of leftover pizza. There was no connection between them. They didn't share their clothes or food, or really anything. Were that how roommates are supposed to behave?

Cam and Ollie though, they shared the same room. Cameron had never shared a room with anyone else before, so he just assumed it was normal to share clothes and pillows and occasionally use each other's toothpaste. Was that not normal? Oliver was his friend, not just a roommate, surely that meant the 'rules' were different.

"That's different." Cam defends, phone clutched to his chest. "We're not exactly, you know, friends. Maddy and I are."

Tommy flicks open a book that Ollie left on the desk, fingers carelessly sifting through the pages as he sighs dramatically. "So, you're telling me that you're friends with two of the hottest girls I've ever seen in my life, and you're not banging either of them?"