23 Without you

Roman POV

Unable to sit down properly on one of the chairs in the waiting room, I was anxiously pacing up and down the whole time. In the meantime hours had passed and I was still waiting for someone to tell me how Y/N was doing. Every time someone walked by, my head would snap up to see if a doctor or nurse was finally coming to give me news.

It drove me crazy not knowing what was going on. With all my energy I tried to be patient and trust in the doctors, but with every minute that passed my patience faded a little more.

"Hey, how is she doing? Do you have any updates yet? I came here as soon as I heard!" said Stephanie suddenly as she came running into the room.

"No, not yet. I'm so worried." I replied as I rubbed my hands over my face in frustration.

"She's going to be fine. She's strong. You have to think positive." she said as she rubbed my back reassuringly.

"I know, it's just... it was so scary to see her like that. She was lying there motionless, barely breathing. And she was so cold. I can't lose her, Steph. I can't take that." I muttered as I finally sat down in one of the chairs.

"You won't lose her, Roman. I'm sure she'll do anything to stay with you." she replied.

I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded silently. Y/N was strong and most importantly, stubborn. I was sure she was a fighter. But it still scared me to death.

"Family of Miss L/N?" asked a doctor after a few minutes who entered the room with a serious face.

I immediately jumped to my feet and walked over to him. I couldn't interpret his facial expression, but I hoped he just had a good poker face.

"I'm her boyfriend. And this is her employer. How is she?" I said quickly.

"Is there no immediate family present?" the doctor wanted to know.

"No, we're just in town for work. Now, how is she?" I asked again.

"Well, Miss L/N is suffering from massive dehydration. Due to her illness with the stomach flu, she has lost so much fluids that she has had a circulatory collapse. She is currently receiving infusions of fluids and electrolytes to restore her fluid balance. Her kidneys were on the verge of failing, but fortunately we were able to prevent that," he explained.

"Does that mean she's going to be okay?" I asked tensely.

"Yes, we expect her to make a full recovery. It will take a few days, though. She is very weakened and was also hypothermic. We will keep her here and continue to hydrate her adequately. In such extreme cases of stomach flu, it is quite common to have severe dehydration. We will also give her a stronger medicine against the nausea. Right now it is important that Miss L/N regains her energy." the doctor continued.

A weight was lifted from my shoulders. Y/N was okay and that's how it would stay. Nevertheless, this incident shook me to the core. I almost lost her a second time and that within a short period of time. Never again did I want to have to experience something like that. I loved this woman too much for that.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"Certainly. She is currently being moved from the ICU to a regular room. Miss L/N is still asleep, though, because she's been given medication for it. As I said, she needs to rest. Follow me, please," he said.

"Thank you for coming, Steph." I said turning to Stephanie.

"Well, that goes without saying. Don't worry about work. I'll sort it out. And please keep me posted on Y/N." she replied, giving me a quick hug before I followed the doctor.

On the entire way, my thoughts were spinning. Again, I had to think about how much my life and my thinking had changed because of Y/N. Nothing else seemed important when I had her around. Even though she hadn't been a part of my life for long, I could hardly remember what it was like without her.