1 Meeting him

It had only been a few days since I had been here in town and yet I was already beginning to regret my decision to take care of my best friend's dog for two weeks. She and her new husband had flown off for their honeymoon, leaving Shari, their Great Dane, in my care.

But that I regretted it was by no means due to the dog. No, I regretted being stuck in one place for so long. In my job as a photographer, I usually traveled around all year long. I rarely spent more than a few days in one place. So naturally, I was already itching to begin another journey to the most beautiful places in the world and capture their uniqueness in my photos.

Okay, maybe my impatience today was a little bit due to Shari. Normally she was a well behaved, calm dog. What was very important with her size. But today something was different.

We were just out on the town so Shari was getting her needed exercise when she kept pulling on her leash over and over again. Every time I scolded and corrected her it only lasted for a few minutes.

And since I was not a particularly patient person, this of course got on my nerves after a short time.

"Shari, stop it now!" I scolded as she almost brought me off balance by her pulling.

Only a moment later Shari started to run and I had trouble following her and holding her securely. If we had been in a park or something, I probably would have let her go by now, but that was out of the question in the city with all the traffic. I didn't want her to hurt herself or anyone else. So I had no choice but to run after her and hold her as tight as I could.

Suddenly she ran around a corner, but when I followed her I banged into someone. This someone was so damn hard that it felt like I was running into a wall. I probably would have been knocked to the ground by the force of the impact, but the person I collided with reacted in a flash and held me upright with strong hands and arms.

I lifted my gaze and looked into the surprised and slightly worried eyes of a man. An incredibly handsome man, I should add. And those eyes. Wow. His big brown eyes had so much warmth and depth that it was almost too easy to get lost in them.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" I asked anxiously after clearing my throat and pulling Shari close to me. Now she had suddenly decided to go back to being the well-behaved and calm dog I knew.

"Yes, everything is fine. Are you having trouble dealing with a big dog?" he asked with a chuckle curving his perfect lips. Something about his statement he seemed to find hilarious, but I didn't understand what.

"Actually, I never have any problems with a big dog. It's just that she seems a little off today. Again, sorry for that," I replied while petting Shari, who was sitting next to me, on the head.

"No problem, really. It's not every day that such a beautiful woman runs into your arms." said the stranger and my face immediately turned dark red.

"Well, umm... thanks again for the rescue. We should get going now. Let's go Shari." I stuttered.

But again the dog had other plans. Once more she started to run, but this time in a circle so that her leash wrapped itself around me and the man. Startled by the suddenness of the events, we stood there speechless. His muscular chest pressed tightly against mine.

"Oh wow. And that definitely doesn't happen every day. I should probably introduce myself. Who knows what your dog is planning next. I'm Roman." he said and I thought I detected a little blush on his face.

"Y/N. I really don't know what got into her today," I stammered again.

"Well, who knows. But since we've already gotten so close, I think we should at least have a coffee together. Do you have time Y/N?" Roman asked me surprisingly.

"I do and I'd love to," I whispered while getting lost in his eyes.

Together we freed ourselves from Shari's leash. When we had successfully untangled ourselves, Roman bent down to Shari and I could have sworn that he called her a 'good girl'.