Chapter 16 - Untrust

Start from the beginning

"What if we cant trust them? Maybe what they said was true but, what if all those days spent in those walls turned them into a villan? Why else would they just 'let them go'" Raspberry argued, and Chili Pepper agreed.

Madeleine shook his head, arguing back, "Dont you dare say that when they could have died out there. It was a blessing for them to have returned in the state they are now."

They bickered back and forth, about you. This was a thought at the back of your head, what if they didnt trust you anymore? It DID seem suspicious for Red Velvet to let you go. Even if you did explain, it meant going into more detail, saying that you lied. It means telling them that you got friendly with the enemy.

That made you blush, friendly? You guys were sworn enemies, even if he did help you escape. Why did it embarrass you to think about him that way?

He wasnt really a bad person, he just had a goal and was willing to do whatever it took to get to it, no matter who got in the way. His final objective was one you agreed with. Had he been on your side, not evil, you would certainly call him a friend. Maybe something-

You shook your head, forget that thought. That was utter nonsense, dont ever do that again.

"Y/n! You're up early, I was uhm... you didnt hear any of that did you?" Madeleine asked nervously. You made a sour face, "Maybe I did. Whats it matter to you?"

He sighed, "Its just precautions Y/n, I know you would never do that but they arent quick to trust anyone." He explained, trying to not hurt your feelings.

You nodded once, before frowning. He must have noticed because he asked if there was something wrong.

'Here goes nothing..'

"Madeleine can I show you something, alone?" You asked, looking past him and into the crowd that was still arguing. He looked confused, but agreed, so you dragged him back into your room.

Custard was still asleep, so you made a shushing motion with your hand, and pointed him in the direct of the window. You then moved the blanket off the way and saw bundt just sitting there, you motioned him foward. Then you scooped him up with the blanket, so Madeleine wouldnt see him at first.

You walked over to Madeleine, "Dont get mad-" and you removed the blanket, to show Bundt cake.

"WHAT IS TH-" you throw your hand over his mouth to cut him off, and look back at Custard. He shifted around in his sleep, before turning over and going back to his soft breathing pattern. You glared at Madeleine, who was glaring back.

"How did you end up with THAT?? Its a monster, its going to kill us." He whisper yelled, as you pulled Bundt away from Madeleine.

"No no, hes not a monster, his name is Bundt Cake and I took him from that nursery I was telling you about. Red Velvet let me keep him" you trailed off.

He blinked at you, "So he let you escape AND let you keep part of his army??" He questioned harshly, still quiet enough to not wake up Custard.

You nodded slowly, and then smiled nervously, looking away from him. "We were on... friendly terms.."

"How did you become 'friends' with our enemy? The very person who held you hostage? Thats toxic as hell Y/n, you arent friends." He kept whisper shouting. It did sound bad... no, it WAS bad. He was right about Red Velvet, but not about Bundt.

"I know I know its just, he doesnt seem as bad as the rest.. his intentions are good, I think to some extent all of their intentions are good, they are just bad at executing their ideas. Plus, I said friendly terms not 'best of friends'" You whisper yelled back, now realizing how bad it made you sound to be defending them.

He seemed to be fighting with himself internally, he was frustraded. "Look, I know you probably did what you had to do to survive, but he is not a good cookie. He has hurt so many cookies, they have all hurt so many cookies. You cant seriously be sympathizing with them right now"

You shake your head, "Im not sympathizing, Im only saying some of what they were saying made sense-"

"Of course it made sense Y/n, you were surrounded by them for weeks, they had a bad influence on you. Remember which side you are on." he lunged foward trying to grab at Bundt, who squirmed out of your arms and ran past you and back towards the bed.

He shoved you off the way and stomped over to the small cake. You ran over as he was about to swing down his sword, and caught it.

It cut your hands, but it didnt seriously hurt you, you managed to throw the sword off to the side. It landed on the floor with a loud *bang* sound. This startled Custard awake, of course.

Madeleine made a dash for the sword.

"Dont hurt him, please, I told you hes not here to hurt us." you pleaded with Madeleine, running over to kick the sword farther away.

"Y/n are you crazy? That thing is not supposed to be here. Why are you doing this?"

You ran after the sword and jumped on top of it so Madeleine couldnt pick it up, trying to come up with an excuse.

"Just trust me, you said you trusted me, more than the others did" you begged.

"That was BEFORE I knew you betrayed us!" He yelled down at you. That brought down your guard, just enough for him to knock you over and grab the sword.

"Give me one good reason not to kill it this instant" he demanded of you, you couldnt say anything. He just wasnt understanding.

"They smell sweet, and they are soft" Custard interjects, and you both look at him.

"What?" Madeleine asked Custard. He looked tired, his eyes werent the brilliant light blue they once were. His golden custard hair look more flat and tasteless. He had dark patches under his eyes and he looked more pale.

He yawned and pointed at the floor where Bundt would be. "I woke up last night, I had a bad dream. That cake thing came up here to calm me down, help me sleep. He is really nice and soft, wanna pet him?" He jumps off the bed, and crawls under the bed to retrieve Bundt. He pulls him out from underneath the bed and brings him over to Madeleine. Custard softly smiles while the cake stared in total fear.

Madeleine looked at the cake, at Custard, and then back at you. He sighed, and set the sword down. He pinched the bridge of his nose (do they have noses??) and looked back up at you.

"Explain yourself, you've got 15 minutes." he said flatly.

° ° °

Madeleine listened to you, and while he still didnt believe Red Velvet was telling the truth, and you could see the trust that was in his eyes was now gone, he let Bundt stay. Now he adamantly refused to let you go again, in fear you would turn on them and cause their defeat. That hurt, a lot, but you understood.

He got up, picked up his sword, and left the room.

You and Custard sat together on the bed, just talking. He also seemed to lose some trust in you, more so because of what you thought about Red Velvet. He didnt have much of a choice but to stay with you, and he was fine with it.

"I promise, Ill do everything I can to get your healing abilities back, and I promise Ill protect you as best I could." He liked this, it was a pinky promise. You cant simply break a pinky promise.

That afternoon, word went around that two groups were sent out, and you were forbidden from leaving. You hoped Madeleine would change his mind but, you couldnt be mad at him.

You were informed that Madeleine asked that you depart as soon as the war was over, but to be under close supervision meanwhile they were gone.

Now Custard was playing with Pancake and Bundt, who you introduced to Pancake. He was a lot more willing to accept Bundt and wasnt scared of him. It was nice to see them play together. To be fair, he hadnt seen first hand what the cakes were capable of.

You were back to staring out the window, rubbing your hands together for warmth. The window was frosted at the edges, and was very cold to the touch. Your hands were just as cold. You looked down at them, the tips of your hands were turning a redish purple, it was that cold.

The gash on the palm of your hand was gone, a light scar being the only inidcator left behind. How odd.