Chapter 26

Adira squared her shoulders and let Makenna lead. Even though Adira usually hated not being in control, it was refreshing to watch someone else march ahead of you. Makenna was doing much more than walking; she was strutting down a red carpet, if there had been one. Makenna had a sort of regalness and elegance in those towering heels that Adira lacked. Even if she disapproved of Makenna's "job," Adira was not above herself to admit that Makenna had a sense of confidence and fearlessness that Adira knew she herself would never wear. Adira stayed in a state of awe behind Makenna as she worked the crowd in the club as it pulsed to the beat of the pounding music. Makenna was busy taking pictures and chatting and was in her element; Adira knew that feeling.

Adira stumbled to a stop and almost ran right into Makenna, who had stopped. Adira drew herself out of her thoughts to note that the bar was what had blocked their path. Suddenly, Makenna was thrusting a shot of something or another into Adira's hand. "For strength," whispered Makenna. "And, a little bit of recklessness."

They downed their shots and Makenna led Adira to the dance floor. "What are we doing?" hissed Adira as she started to sway to the beat. "Aren't we supposed to be getting to," she flickered her eyes up to the VIP section, "there."

Makenna's smile flatered only for a moment before it corrected itself. Adira realized that in another life Makenna would of had a shot as a model for some magazine. "Rule number one," started Makenna. "Trust me. Rule number two, they come to us, not the other way around. Rule number three, live a little. Let loose. Put on a show. Rule number four, dance. Loose the edge and rule five, if you're ever in trouble, worried or scared, drown it in alcohol. Always."

And, when the next song started and the echoing bass over took the room, did Makenna put on a show.

...

Makenna's dancing soon caught the attention of more than a few men, but Makenna turned them away. Adira followed Makenna's line of sight up to a man in the VIP section. She pointed at him, wagging her finger at him, inviting him to come join. He pretended to look around before stabbing his slim finger into his chest. She nodded and licked her lips -- Adira was surprised the man didn't dive over the balcony at the look of excitement on his face. Adira didn't blame him; Makenna was on fire.

He came trampling through the crowd with a younger man in tow right behind him. The man practically launched himself at Makenna, who immediately starting dancing on him. Adira took a steadying deep breath before reaching out to the young male the man had brought with him. He opened his mouth but Adira pushed a finger to his lips. Introductions made everything seem so much more real and Adira was fine keeping this a fantasy for a while longer, even it was only a little while longer. She decided to head Makenna's advice, especially rule number four as she whispered: "Just dance."

...

Before long, Makenna grabbed Adira's hand before following the two boys up to the VIP area. Adira noticed that Makenna's dress was hiking up dangerously in the front, but part of her knew it was all part of the act. They had one goal and it was to get to the all-exclusive party. They sat next to the two boys. "Shots?" questioned the older one; Adira was pretty sure his name was Rico, but she wasn't sure.

The younger man whispered something to the older one in Spanish and Adira smirked. Rico raised his hand to call for a round of tequila as Adira hiked up her dress so she could straddle the young man. "¿Tú hablas español?" (You speak Spanish?"

He raised an eyebrow, "La pregunta real es ¿hablas español verdad o eres un fake?" (The real question is do you speak Spanish in truth or are you a fake?)

"Verdad, porque en los calles, un mejor debe aprendo mucho en una pequña tiempo." (Truth, because in the streets, a woman must learn a lot in a little time).