Chapter 25

Adira had chewed through Aaron as if he was a snack. He confessed all he knew to her aggressive speech and dominant actions. He was carted off by a fellow police officer while Adira stood in the hallway talking to Derek. "He broke but I still don't understand, Derek. I'm still missing a puzzle piece."

That's when a loud beeping came from Lizzy's room. Derek and Adira sprinted into the room. "She's having a seizure," assessed Derek as he went to her side and starting looking into her eyes. Adira immediately moved to Lizzy's backside and turned on her side, carefully of all the tubes that were currently surrounding Lizzy.

Owen came rushing in and went over to where Makenna was cowering in a corner. He helped her up and brought her outside and across the hall, to the same place where Adira had been keeping Aaron earlier. "She lost her pulse!"

Adira slammed the button by the door, calling the code. "I need a crash cart!" She screamed at the top of her lungs as a pair of nurses along with Jo came running in. Jo didn't think as she handed Adira the paddles. "Charge to two hundred. Clear!" Nothing.

Derek took the paddles from her. "Charge to three hundred."

But, it was no use. Lizzy was gone. They kept trying but Derek, and Adira both knew Lizzy was long gone. Derek looked at clock. "Time of death," he started and Adira bolted.

She ran past Owen to the nearest stairwell and he caught up with her. Adira beat her hands against his chest and he calmly took her blows. He wrapped his arms around her and brought her to his chest. He held her tight as she started to cry. "Its not fair. She's dead."

"Life is hardly ever fair. You of all people should know that."

She pushed him away, "Oh, thanks for reminding me."

Adira ran up the stairs till she found an empty hallway. She sunk to her knees and pulled out her phone. She dialed Candy's number and asked for her kids. She got James first. "Hey, baby, how's a going?

"Mama!" Squealed James and Adira's heart ached. She missed them. "Grandma said you were busy saving your friend. Is she okay?"

Adira's throat constricted. "Yes, baby, but I am going to be gone for a couple more days, okay?"

"Can we see you before you leave? Please, Momma? Oh, Momma, I made a new friend today! Liam is deaf, Momma. You know how you taught me some sign language? I said hello and we talked about the trees. Liam is blind too, Momma. I told him about this broken tree. Can you teach me more sign language, Momma? Please!"

"Yes, Sweetie, I would love that. Maybe Liam could come over some time."

"Jer wants to talk to you. I love y—" he was caught off as Adira guessed Jer snatched it outta his hand.

¨MOMMA!" Screeched Jeremiah and his voice was soon paired with Joshua's. 

"Hey, boys, how's a going? Are you behaving for Grandma?"

"Yes, ma'am," they both replied in sync. 

"How is basketball going?"

"We won our game last night, Momma! Joshua made a three!" Exclaimed Jer happily. 

"And, Jer blocked two shots! Mom, he can jump real high!"

"Good job, boys. Momma is so proud of you. What did Coach have to say after your game? When do you play again? How is school?"

"Coach said that we did good but our defense needs some work. He says that I don't stay low enough, but he said we will work on it and he also told Josh to shoot more, because apparently Josh is real good at it."