18

"Are you sure you want to do this, Potter?" Gawain Robards asks. "You're in line for Head Auror, you know. And not just because of who you are. You're a good Auror, you have good instincts. I would have been pleased to recommend you as my replacement when I retire. I've only got five, maybe six good years left before I'll be ready to hang up my Auror robes for something quieter."

"I know. Thank you, sir. But I think I need something quieter now."

The Head Auror regards him. "Well, you've been doing this longer than most," he says, stern face breaking into a small, rueful smile.

Harry can't do anything but nod.

"You have to do the right thing for you, Potter. If this is it, I'm happy to let you go. If you need a recommendation for a new job, just let me know and I'll write up a letter for you."

"Thank you, sir."

"Good luck, Potter."

✦ ✦ ✦

"HARRY POTTER QUITS THE AUROR DEPARTMENT: WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?"

"Pansy! Have you seen this?"

"What?"

"He did it! Merlin, he really...I never thought he would..."

"Now will you go talk to him?"

"What? What does this have to do with anything?"

"Well, part of being afraid to get married was about being afraid of losing him, right? Because being an Auror is so dangerous?"

"What? I never told you—you're too smart for your own good, you know that, right?"

She grins.

"I've already lost him, though. He must hate me for how I left. I can't even imagine a world where he wouldn't."

She smacks a palm to her own forehead. "You'll never know for certain if you never talk to him again!"