You're a mess (Demus)

Short 500 word drabble based on the the tumblr post above. I'll post something longer soon.

TWs: Swears, small mention of blood, cognitive distortions, slight dissociation/loss of time.

————————————

Janus is gone.

Remus doesn't know how long it's been. He broke the only clock years ago. But to him, it felt like years. Years of being alone in this god forsaken dark side. Years of waiting for him to come back, walk through that door as if he never left in the first place.

But he never did. Janus didn't come back.

Remus is in the corner of the living room, hugging his knees as he rocks back and forth. He's surrounded by broken furniture, every last thing having been overturned and repeatedly hit with his morning star. The weapon is stuck in a hole in the wall next to him. Shattered plates and bowls cover the floor, dust slowly floating through the stuffy air.

It's cold. He's hungry. He's scared.

He's dry sobbing. There are no tears and it just frustrates him more.

"Fuck!" He slams his fist into the floor. It hurts. He can feel blood trailing down onto the dirty floor boards.

Why did Janus have to leave?

"Ouch. It's worse than I thought. You're a mess."

Remus snaps his head up in surprise. "Janus? You- you came back. I thought-"

"You thought I left you? Apologies for the delay, my dear. I got held up with the others. But don't worry, I brought you something that might cheer you up."

Janus pulls out a stick of deodorant.

Remus jumps up into his arms, the deodorant dropped and forgotten on the floor.  "Are you really here?"

"Remus, darling. I can assure you that I am real. I'm here, and I'm not leaving."

Remus' breathing is shallow and forced but at least he has Janus now. Janus is home. He's safe.

He collapses into the snakes arms, relief flooding every single one of his thoughts. Two additional pairs of arms wrap around him in a soft and secure hold.

Janus pulls back, gently running a hand through Remus' hair as he starts whimpering. "Shh, it's alright Remus dear. I'm not leaving." Two more of his hands move up to cup his face, gloved hands gently caressing his cheeks. He smiles.

"Why don't we watch that horror movie you've been talking to me about?" Remus' eyes light up at that. He scrambles over to the broken tv, snapping his fingers to turn it on. The screen is cracked but it works.

Janus chuckles fondly. He picks up the deodorant from next to him before joining Remus on the couch. He sinks into it, the cushions almost empty of stuffing and the legs broken off, leaving it directly on the floor.

Remus gingerly takes the deodorant from his hands. Janus gently kisses him on the forehead before turning his eyes towards the starting movie.

Remus leans into Janus, head resting on his chest, while he nibbles on the deodorant.

It's warm. The steady pace of Janus' heartbeat is comforting, serving as a constant reminder that Janus is here. Remus is quickly hit by a wave of exhaustion. When was the last time he actually slept? Well it doesn't matter now. He's got Janus and he's not leaving.

At least not yet.