Episode 1: We Gon' Be Alright

We gon' be alright! Do you hear me, do you feel me? We gon' be alright! - Kendrick Lamar

Present Day

They rode into the darkness in silence. Letting the nighttime air hit their skin as Spencer drove to the cemetery. Occasionally, he'd glance over at Olivia when she wasn't looking. For the past few weeks, she'd been his rock and he was grateful for that. Even with her father still upset with him, Olivia ignored the noise and stood by Spencer's side as he fought new battles. 

When Olivia could feel his eyes on her, she smiled warmly,  "What?"

"I'm not allowed to look at you," Spencer teased, sliding his right hand on her thigh as his other one gripped the wheel.

"Not with the road ahead of you," she blushed in response. Them being official still felt surreal, even though everyone in their lives was aware of their relationship now. Getting the boy she crushed on since his first day at Beverly made her grin from ear to ear.

"Alright, alright," he hummed, pulling up to the familiar tombstone.

"I'll stay here," Olivia offered, wanting to give Spencer privacy while he talked to his loved one.

"Nah, you can come too," Spencer replied, walking around to the passenger side to get the door.

Olivia waved him away, "Spence, this is your time. I'll stand by the car if that makes you feel better. Go head."

A few short steps away, he stopped in front of the gravesite, taking a deep breath.
————-

Flashback - Three Weeks Ago

Crenshaw had the ball mid-field. They seemed to be moving the ball fairly well against Beverly's stacked defensive line. With two minutes left in the first quarter,  Chris huddled up with his team.

"Okay, they are double-teaming Spencer, so we need to spread the ball around. Everybody be ready because if you're open, the ball is coming to you. Make sure those routes are clean, alright," Chris clapped his hands and got his team back to the line.

Crenshaw lined up and listened for the snap count. Chris scanned the field for his number one receiver, going through all his reads before finding Spencer for a long touchdown pass giving them the lead. South Crenshaw's crowd cheered as Spencer celebrated in the end zone. He looked into the crowd to find his girlfriend who was jumping up and down. Spencer pointed to Olivia with a giant smile on his face until he saw his mother standing on the sideline with Coach Baker. Whatever was being discussed looked intense.

"What's going on," Spencer questioned, walking to the sideline.

Billy sighed as Grace broke the news, "It's Coop. She's been shot."

Olivia watched Spencer leave the field followed by his mother who jogged behind him. "Where's he going," Olivia asked Simone, who was equally as confused. "Mrs. James," Olivia called out, prompting the mother to look up into the crowd then back to the tunnel where Spencer was heading to the locker room. She didn't know who was calling her name but she didn't have time to waste. They had to get to the hospital immediately.

"Wonder what the hell is going on," Simone frowned, watching Jordan run over to Billy during a timeout. "Something has to be going on if Jordan is talking to your dad in the middle of a game."

"Weird. I'm going to see if I can get down there. If security lets me," Olivia announced, grabbing her purse and jogging down the bleachers. Once she reached the field entrance, she attempted to get her dad's attention.