Chapter 44 - Leavi

Start from the beginning

"Ahresåe..." they breathe.

There is something ancient in the tone of the word, something beyond comprehension yet compelling. Almost unconsciously, I repeat it, and the next word lights up. It passes from my lips quicker than the last, the action almost frightening in its ease. From there, the words are drawn out, not of my will, but from somewhere deep inside me. The voices guide me, reminding me of Aster's movements from before, perfecting my pronunciation, lighting up word after word my tongue can't help but speak.

Pressure builds inside me, rising through my body, urging me, pressing me, pushing me, forcing me. It swirls inside like a living force, demanding control, ordering submission. Panicked, I fight back. It cannot have me. I will not give in, I cannot give in, I cannot—

The pressure twists into pain, like water in my lungs, like fire in my soul. I am teetering on a precipice, and the force is a wind raging for me to fall, but I refuse.

The pain redoubles, and a scream tears out of me. I curl inside myself, aware of nothing but the foreign force and my death-grip on my will.

Suddenly, murmured words in my ear break through my field of isolation. "Let go, Leavi. Let go. Give in to it."

But I can't; I can't fall off the ledge, I can't give in to this force, I can't let it take over me...

Suddenly, the pressure is decreasing. I become aware of someone's hand on my shoulder, and then a splash as they dash the water in the bowl. My lip is wet, hot and sticky, and my mouth tastes of salt and iron. Slowly, my head rises from its rest on my knees. Aster is there beside me, a handkerchief pressed to his nose. His eyes dart across my face, and he pulls another out from his cloak.

"Here. You might want this."

Dazed, I take it, but it stays fisted in my hand. "What was that, Aster?" My voice trembles in the air, giving away exactly how terrified I am.

His answer is simple. "Magic."

My lips move, but no sound comes out.

"Are you alright?" He jerks his hand from my shoulder, as if having forgotten it was there, and sets it on the ground, a few centimeters from mine.

I manage to close my mouth. I nod once, then immediately shake my head. "No! I mean, what was that?" I'm one crack away from shattering. I'm shivering. Blood still seeps out my nose. Distractedly, I wipe at it with the kerchief.

"I told you. But magic can be dangerous. That's why I don't go around handing out the materials." His eyes hold a pointed look.

"I—" My mind is swirling in circles, a spiraling path to nowhere. I'm finally freed from the loop, asking, "How did you know—I mean, why did you come—" I can't manage a full sentence and end up just making a gesture at the surrounding area.

"You screamed."

My words are numb. "I remember that." More coherently, I ask, "So you came toward it?"

His breath swirls white in the winter air. "I... I wanted to see if I could help."

A short laugh bursts from me, more disbelieving than amused.

He considers me, eyes concerned. He sighs lightly, a small, sad smile playing at his lips. "How about I take you back to your room? We can talk about this in the morning," he offers gently.

My eyes flick up to his. "Oh." My fingers tangle themselves in my necklace. "Sure."

He nods, then pulls himself to his feet, offering a hand to me.

I take it, but my knees buckle beneath me, and I stumble.

"Whoa." Aster catches me, steady arms surrounding my shaking body. My dazed gaze takes in his face. His warm amber eyes have flecks of deeper brown close to the iris.

He stands me up. I feel like I haven't eaten all day.

"You might be weak for a little while," he says. "You'll feel better after you get some sleep."

I nod, and he helps me back to my room. I collapse into bed, and I'm faintly aware of him pulling the covers over my shoulders. I fall asleep as soon as I close my eyes.