CHAPTER IV

Camilla's background was questionable, to say the least. She had grown up on the streets of Safe Haven and, despite an invitation to stay with her cousins, had raised herself. She had eventually enrolled at Zoo Phoenix Academy and formed a small all-female gang, developing a reputation for being lax academically, a pole dancer by night, and extremely promiscuous.

Ultimately, the person beneath Camilla's tough, alluring shell was revealed following her eventual graduation from Z.P.A. She abandoned her gang, her job, and her reputation, moving in with her cousins at last and becoming rather reclusive. She emerged again when Xirxine attacked Safe Haven, joining the fight against the ScoutBots, and then eased into an interning role with the organization once they were integrated into Safe Haven's society.

Now she roomed with her friend MacKenzie Payoray, who had recently moved out of her foster mother's house. After the Holy War, the two had found that they had a surprising amount of things in common, including their love of singing and YA romance novels.

However, as Camilla packed her bags in preparation for her journey to Mexico, MacKenzie seemed less than supportive.

"I don't think this is a good idea," MacKenzie said dubiously, arms crossed as she watched Camilla attempt to close one of her suitcases. "What if the others really are in trouble?"

"Relax, Kenzie," Camilla grunted, pushing down the top of the suitcase with as much strength as she could muster. "I'll be... ffffine!" The last word came out as a hiss as the suitcase closed with a satisfying click.

Camilla straightened up and brushed her hands against each other triumphantly while MacKenzie stated, "Addi's already down there facing a potential threat. I don't want you to be in the same situation!"

"You worry too much," Camilla said flippantly. "Trust me—everything will be fine."

MacKenzie bit her lip and nodded. "Okay," she replied hesitantly. "But do me a favor?"

"Yeah?"

"Let me record a message for Addi so you can show it to him."

"Sure." Camilla hefted her luggage into the air and staggered outside, where a ScoutBot waited to transport it to her flight. "Make it quick, though—Autumn and I leave in fifteen."

"Alright."

-

Moments later, MacKenzie emerged from the house just as Camilla's phone beeped. The former hugged the latter and told her, "Be safe. I want both you and Addi to come home in one piece, okay?"

Camilla smiled at the girl's motherly command and replied, "We will. I promise."

-

Thirty minutes later, Camilla, Autumn, and their pilot—a werewolf named Taxi who usually drove cabs—were on their way to the Crystal Caves of Chihuahua, Mexico.

Camilla leaned against the window, her face resting on her fist in boredom as the plane soared through the air. Next to her, Autumn was already fast asleep, snoring loud enough to muffle the peaceful hum of the plane's turbines.

U h ' e n y t h g o f ' n

Camilla's eyelids began to droop as the clouds drifted by.

A h n a f l m g a h

She blinked rapidly, trying to stay awake.

N o g l' m g e p o g

Her eyes stubbornly refused to stay open, closing slowly.

Y ' a h n a f l ' f h t a g n