3. "You weren't kidding"

Connor Maynard - Medicine

I hate training.

Give me food, and I'll prepare it. I'll clean a filthy house if you tell me to. Send me into the woods to gather wood, and I'll do so.

I'm the most unfit person you'll ever find, and what does he do? He makes me train. I remember my first day of training, it was a nightmare. Gideon promised he'd be fair with me, but did he? No! He didn't. I could barely feel my limbs, and Caelum being the loving husband he always was, laughed and told me it would only get worse.

Another thing. Caiden was troubled last night, claiming that the curse is worsening and that he'll be here as soon as he can, leaving his pack in the hands of his Beta to check on his brother. The thought makes me smile. Aiden and I used to be like that; I haven't seen him in a long time and I miss him, but I know I won't be able to see him for awhile. Considering there's so much going on. He's effectively taken over the Nightshade pack's Alpha role since Raphael hasn't been seen since the King and Queen's ball. The difference between Raphael and Caiden is that Caiden is leaving his pack for a valid reason, whereas Raphael is God knows where.

I overheard Caelum and River on the phone a few nights ago, apparently their father is furious. If Raphael doesn't get his act together and return by the time of Caelum and Caiden's birthday, he can kiss Nightshade goodbye. Nightshade will be obliged to join Caiden's pack, or Aiden will be assessed and he might be the next recognized Alpha of Nightshade.

As I'm about to throw another punch at Chris, but a voice stops me "That's enough for today" I whip my head around, and find my emerald eyed man staring at me from across the field. I turn back to Chris who has his arms crossed over his chest "You did well today, Fare" he compliments me, and I thank him before I'm off running in Caelum's direction. He catches me when I jump on him, I smile down at him "Hi" he puts me down, not smiling back. Before I can say anything, he grabs my arm, pulling me across the field towards the castle. I give him a confused look, but he ignores it. His jaw is clenched and his eyes hard.

My heart picks up when his grip on me tightens. His cold behavior reminds me of the days after we got married. And that puts me on edge. I try to get free of his hold, but he just yanks me closer and walks faster "Caelum, stop" I say, struggling against him.

In no time we're in the castle. In his office. He releases me, and moves, his hands on his wooden table. His knuckles turn white as he breaks the wood off the edge "Is everything okay?" I try my best to hide the panic in my voice, but I can't. I can't and I don't know why. I wasn't supposed to be scared. His humorless laughter sounding throughout the room, causing the hair on my arms to rise. There were times I'd pay to hear him laugh. Now all I want to do is hide away.

"Okay?" he turns to face me "Oh, Amour. I thought you loved me" he says darkly. I do love him, and he knows that. I never said it, but I know he knows "I thought you'd stick with me" What made my fear escalate was the black that started spreading in his eyes. I want to run, but my feet are somehow glued to the ground, as though he's stopping me from moving. But how? "Were you lying to me all this time?" he asks, moving closer. This isn't him.

What on earth is he talking about?

I open my mouth, but he speaks again "You're just like Chrystal, aren't you?" he whispers, taking another step closer. Chrystal. Why is he comparing me to her ? "Betraying me. Making me believe that you care" I never did that. When did I betray him, and I do care. After all his coldness, I never gave up on him, I'll always care.

The black of his pupils spreading even further, almost taking over his irises. He moves until he's right in front of me, his touch sending shivers throughout my body "With my brother" What? "Do you love him?" I stare at him with wide eyes. He's officially gone insane "Do you love Caiden?"

Caiden? He thinks I'm with Caiden? I shake my head "No. No, I've never been with Caiden" I admit. He grabs my chin "Don't lie to me, Amour" he grits through his teeth. His irises turn fully black, and I don't think I've seen anything scarier than this. My body shakes with fear seeing him like this. I see his canines extending "You're mine. Only mine" I shake my head again, trying to move, but he's holding me in place "Stay back" I say in a stern voice. A malevolent laugh echoes through the room. I hate it. I hate it so much. My eyes shut and when a glass shattering scream leaves my mouth as he drops to the floor in front of me.

I look up to see Caiden with a needle in his hand "You weren't kidding" he speaks, almost breathless. I shake my head, running my hand through my hair. "Are you okay?" he asks. Still in a state of denial, all I can do is nod. My heart breaks as I watch Caelum on the floor; it doesn't break because he almost hurt me; it breaks to see him like this. In this state. "What did you do to him?" I ask Caiden.

"He's not dead, just knocked out, he'll wake up later" he replies. I turn to him "I didn't ask if he's dead, Caiden. I asked 'What did you do to him?'" with a mild raise in my voice. "I injected him with shifter"

"What's shifter?"

"The only thing that can put someone as powerful as him down"

He bends down, pulling out a pocketknife from the back of his jeans. The tip of the knife sinks into the side of Caelum's neck "What are you doing?" I whisper-yell at him as he drags the blade down Caelum's neck, which causes blood to pour out. Not just any blood, but black blood. He lets the blood flow into a glass tube "I want to test the blood, maybe it'll give us a clue to finding the cure" he explains to me. He's right, maybe we'll get a clue. Maybe we've been looking at the wrong things. Once the tube is full, he closes it "We'll find out what type of magic this is, and how to get rid of it" he fills three more glass tubes "Why do you need so many?" I ask.

"Incase of an emergency"

"Who'll test the blood?"

"Me"

I quirk my eyebrow "You know how to do that?" I ask. He looks up at me with an exasperated look "No, Farren, I don't. We need to find someone who does"

I sigh heavily. Finding someone who knows magic means going back to Zephyr.

I don't exactly want to go back.

~~~~

Heyyo everyone. I won't be updating till after New Year's Day. So in other words next year😂

Hope y'all liked the chapter.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 💗

Vote, comment, let me know your thoughts.

Hugs and Oreos

- Zel