Everybody cheered. It was happening slowly, but there could be no doubt—the Fleece's magic was seeping into the tree, filling it with new power and expelling the poison.

And it was doing the same thing for Andromeda.

Chiron ordered a twenty-four/seven guard duty on the hilltop, at least until he could find an appropriate monster to protect the Fleece. He said he'd place an ad in Olympus Weekly right away.

In the meantime, Clarisse was carried on her cabin mates' shoulders down to the amphitheater, where she was honored with a laurel wreath and a lot of celebrating around the campfire.

Nobody gave Annabeth, Andromeda, or Percy a second look. It was as if they'd never left. In a way, he guessed that was the best thank-you anyone could give them, because if they admitted they'd snuck out of camp to do the quest, they'd have to expel them. And really, Percy didn't want any more attention. It felt good to be just one of the campers for once.

Later that night, as they were roasting s'mores and listening to the Stoll brothers tell them a ghost story about an evil king who was eaten alive by demonic breakfast pastries, Clarisse shoved Percy from behind and whispered in his ear, "Just because you were cool one time, Jackson, don't think you're off the hook with Ares. I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to pulverize you."

He gave her a grudging smile.

"What?" she demanded.

"Nothing," He said. "Just good to be home."

Percy turned his head away and looked across the fire at where Andromeda had been, only to find her spot empty. He looked around and eventually found Annabeth, Silena Beaurgard, and Andromeda standing nearby.

The daughter of Dionysus' face was pale and sullen as she listened to the daughter of Aphrodite explain something.

Percy stood and walked over to her as Annabeth and Silena walked away, both smiling sadly at the boy.

"Hey," He greeted. "What's wrong?"

Andromeda was shaking, her jaw clenched and her eyes glassy. She handed Percy a piece of paper, the boy reading it aloud.

"Dear Andromeda, sorry I won't be there when you get back. I really hope you do come back. I was abandoned by both of my parents years ago as you know, and about a year ago I was given the opportunity to get some justice for myself and others like me and you. Luke offered me a spot in his close circle, to help him and work with Kronos. You probably hate me." Percy looked up at Andromeda who was avoiding his eye, looking anywhere but him. He sighed and continued to read. "I hope you understand; maybe someday you'll join us. Until then, I do really love you. Eliza Taylour."

That night Percy held Andromeda as she cried and yelled Greek profanities, as well as a faire share of Latin ones that he didn't understand, and joined her when she began to smash things of Eliza's that had been in the daughter of Aphrodite's bunk.

But there would always be a reminder of the girl in the form of a small scythe charm.

The mark of Kronos.

—🌊—