009 ;; sweet like sugar.

The next morning rolled around and all of the contestants were awakened by the lady's voice over the speaker informing them that it was time for breakfast. You fluttered your eyelids open and absentmindedly stared at the metal slats that held the bunk bed above you, a saddened frown pulled downwards on your lips.

With a heavy heart, you began making your way towards the center of the room. As you walked past some people, you overheard number 212 pestering Pickpocket over the details of what she had saw in the vent and you curiously stopped in your tracks to hear it as well — since that was apart of the deal the three of you made last night.

"You said you'd tell me in the morning," 212 demanded. "I'm sure you had time to see something."

"Those masked people were melting something in large pots," Pickpocket finally confessed.

"What were they melting?" you questioned, standing a certain amount of distance away from the girl, but still close enough to hear the conversation.

Number 067 glanced at you for a split second before drifting her eyes to gaze at her interlocked hands. "I'm not sure."

212 scoffed, a look of disbelief becoming evident on her features. "Damn it! I put on that huge show to save your life and you're not sure?!"

You peered over at her, frowning. Pickpocket glanced back up. "I smelled something," she added.

"What smell?"

"Sugar."

"You smelled sugar?" you reiterated in a mumble, pondering over the given information and trying to decipher the reasoning behind it. "So they were melting sugar?"

"I think so," Pickpocket confirmed.

"That's all you saw?" number 212 asked. Number 067 nodded her head, earning another scoff from 212. "Listen, if you're holding back something, I'm going to burn your eyes out," she threatened. Pickpocket sent an expressionless stare towards 212, who took a step back at the unnerving glower she received. "I suppose I'm hungry," she began walking down the steps. "I'm craving.. something sweet. Maybe they'll give us candied sweet potatoes today."

You looked back at Pickpocket once more. "See you," you waved with a small smile. "Thanks for telling us."

You listlessly strolled away to go retrieve your breakfast, quietly scanning the area as you walked in search of your friend and teammate. When you finally spotted him, you rushed to his side and greeted him in a chipper tone, brandishing a warm grin. He returned the gesture and the two of you waited in line together.

"Hey, Ali?"

The man perked up, glancing down at you. "Yes?"

"Why are you here?"

Ali's lips tugged downwards at the sudden, intrusive question. Though, he did give you an answer despite how personal it was. "For my wife and kid.. we need money," he shyly confessed, as if ashamed at his own words.

You nodded in understanding. "Your kid, how old are they?"

You could see the faint, heartwarming expression beginning to brandish his features at the remembrance of his family, making your heart ache. "My son is only a baby."

"A baby?" you sighed softly. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," his signature, gladsome smile returned to his lips as you moved forward in the line, getting closer to receiving tour breakfast. Talking about his family must be a serendipitous subject to him and you couldn't blame him. "What's your reasoning?"

The recollection of everyone quickly crashed down on you, but you bit the insides of her cheeks to stop yourself from thinking too much into it. "I'm taking care of my sister's children and I've just got laid off of my job.. and I'm in trouble with a variety loan sharks."