005 ;; the vote.

The winners of the previous game sat in the main room, gathered around with dismal expressions plastered across all of their faces; questioning whether what happened moments prior was truly reality or not. The area was dimmed, the only light coming from the orange glow of the gigantic piggy bank, and some of the exhausted players forced their eyes to stay open, fearful of what's to come.

You softly sighed before sucking your bottom lip between your teeth to painfully bite down on it, bringing your knees to your chest and wrapping your arms around your legs.

I want to go home.

Suddenly, the lights were switched on as a loud buzzer rang through the room. The doors slid open and the masked workers marched into the room, all of them holding guns except for Square. Everyone quickly scrambled to their feet as they walked in and the doors closed behind them.

"All of you have made it through the first game," Square commended. "Congratulations. Let me announce the results of the first game."

You slightly lifted your head and flickered your eyes towards the board that stated the number of participants. You watched as the number rapidly diminished from 456 to 201, making you gulp nervously.

"Out of 456 players, 255 were eliminated and 201 players completed the first game," Square stated in his robotic-like voice.

A few players scoffed, some breathed raggedly, some sighed in relief that it wasn't them who died, and others looked around the room with terrified expressions. Your lips were pulled downwards as you glanced around the room to observe everyone else's reactions.

"Sir!" a feminine voice called out and you looked over to see the owner of the voice push her way to the front of the crowd. She hysterically rubbed her palms together. "I'm so sorry. I'll make sure I pay off my debts. I'll pay them off at all costs," she pleaded, dropping to her knees. "Please, sir. I have... a child! I haven't even registered my baby's birth because I haven't named my baby yet. Please let me leave."

You looked at the woman with a sympathetic expression, as did a lot of others.

"Sir, I'm so sorry," another woman fell to her knees. "Please. Please spare my life. I'll find a way to pay off my debts."

"Me too." Another woman crawled forward. "I want to stop here, please let me go."

Thus began a large portion of the crowd dropping to their knees and grovelling at the guards, pleading and begging that they be set free. You didn't blame them at all. In fact, you were a few seconds away from falling to her knees as well if Square hadn't spoken up before you were able to.

"There seems to be a misunderstanding," Square said. "We are not trying to hurt you or collect your debts." The crowd gradually fell silent. "Let me remind you," he continued, "that we're here to give you a chance."

"A chance?" a man repeated. "You call this a chance? You kill us while making us play a kids' game. How is this a chance?!"

"We may be in debt," shouted another desperate man, "but that doesn't mean we deserve to die."

"This is just a game," Square reassured, though no one found solace in that.

"You killed all those people!" argued another. "Yet you call this a game?!"

"They were simply eliminated for breaking the rules of the game," Square calmly replied. "If you just follow the rules, you can leave this place safely with the prize money we promised."

"I don't need that stupid prize money!" another man yelled. "Please just let me out."

"Consent form, Clause 1; a player is not allowed to stop playing."