Chapter 4: The Portkey

Start from the beginning

"Why do we have to be up so early?" Ginny said.

"We've got a bit of a walk," said Arthur

"Walk?" I groaned. "What, are we walking to the World Cup?"

"No, no, that's miles away," said Arthur, smiling. "We only need to walk a short way. It's just that it's very difficult for a large number of wizards to congregate without attracting Muggle attention. We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times, and on a huge occasion like the Quidditch World Cup..."

We began to pile out of the door when we heard Molly yell. "George!" Causing is all to jump.

"What?" said George, in an innocent tone that deceived nobody.

"What is that in your pocket?"

"Nothing!"

"Don't you lie to me!"

Molly pointed her wand at George's pocket and said, "Accio!"

Several small, brightly colored objects zoomed out of George's pocket; he made a grab for them but missed, and they sped right into Molly's outstretched hand.

"We told you to destroy them!" said Molly furiously, holding up what were unmistakably more Ton-Tongue Toffees. "We told you to get rid of the lot Empty your pockets, go on, both of you!"

It was an unpleasant scene; the twins had evidently been trying to smuggle as many toffees out of the house as possible, and it was only by using her Summoning Charm that Molly managed to find them all from them.

"Accio! Accio! Accio!" she shouted, and toffees zoomed from all sorts of unlikely places, including the lining of George's jacket and the turn-ups of Fred's jeans.

"We spent six months developing those!" Fred shouted at his mother as she threw the toffees away.

"Oh a fine way to spend six months!" she shrieked. "No wonder you didn't get more O.W.L.s!"

All in all, the atmosphere was not very friendly as they took their departure. Molly was still glowering as she kissed Arthur on the cheek, though not nearly as much as the twins, who had each hoisted their rucksacks onto their backs and walked out without a word to her.

"Well, have a lovely time," said Molly, "and behave yourselves," she called after the twins' retreating backs, but they did not look back or answer. "I'll send Bill, Charlie, and Percy along around midday," Molly said to Arthur, as he, me, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny set off across the dark yard after Fred and George.

It was chilly and the moon was still out. Only a dull, greenish tinge along the horizon to their right showed that daybreak was drawing closer.

I was the first to reach the twins. I jumped up and hung my arms on their shoulders which lifted me off the ground.

"What's up with you two?" I asked innocently.

"Your saw what happened" George said sharply.

"So. What got you so down in the dumps?" I continued to act innocently knowing I was about to make their day.

"We spent six months developing them, just to see them thrown in the bin" Fred replied sombrely with a tinge of anger in his voice.

"Well I can cheer you both up" I said with a smirk on my face.

"And how can you do that" the twins said in complete unison.

"With these" I said as I reached into my bag and pulled out a small plastic bag full of their ton-tongue toffees wrapped in different colour paper. The twins faces went from sad to gleaming in 0.2 seconds.