I began hating my teachers.... fearing them as being branded the rude girl, the teachers always picked on me. It sort of developed into a phobia since childhood. Anxious and scared that all eyes are on me, judging me, my voice used to get caught up in my throat and I got tongue tied. I lost what little confidence I had and they felt proud of themselves for doing so. They even begun insulting me in front of everyone and all the teachers' pets laughed on me to please them. At some point, I thought that was normal so I did the same when any other student was treated like me but they got mad thinking someone soo pathetic like me used to laugh at them and I got bullied. It was subtle and in little things like being left alone out of conversations, or being talked and snickered behind my back but slowly it began breaking me from inside.

The thoughts of running away or ending my life came to my mind but I brushed them off trying to be strong. However, could a person be strong alone when they're broken from the inside by the world?
Self loathing and doubting became my daily routine and even if I did one thing wrong I thought of ending myself but it was Haram so I kept going, trying my best to seal away my emotions and smiling and laughing pointlessly to hide the pain in my heart.

Until, it became too much....

####
As we heard the bell for the next period, I closed my textbook and turned to the board to erase it not wasting anymore time and boring the kids. I could hear all the students chattering loudly and it made me smile.

"No homework for tomorrow."

"Yaaaay..... thankyou miss...."

I giggled at their reactions. Yes, I became something I feared the most. A school teacher. Why? Because, I wanted to prove to myself that I'm strong enough to conquer my own fears and turn them into a happy memory instead. Also, because, I wanted to heal a breaking heart and stop more Mehers like me from being how I was....just like the shy little Sana who sat with her head down on the third bench of the middle row while everyone else was being naughty and creating a ruckus.

My heart pricked seeing the child so I walked towards her but she flinched as she looked up at me but avoided ey contact. And to think she was only 13 years old. I saw myself in her and always seeing her made a lot of memories fresh for me. Just like me, all the teachers ignored her too and I've lost count how many times I've heard the other teachers calling her arrogant and stupid in the staffroom.

I smiled.
"Sana, would you like to help me carry those books to the staffroom please?"

She looked up at me with those big doe eyes.
"Mmmm....me?"

I nodded.
"Yes." She said without thinking but that deep nervous frown over her forehead didn't go unnoticed by me. She looked like I would eat her any moment now.

"Just to the staffroom. Come."

Another of my colleague was waiting outside so I went to her thinking Sana would follow right behind me and we walked towards the staffroom talking. But when we reached the staffroom and I turned to thank Sana, I frowned as she was nowhere to be seen and instead of her, another girl was carrying the books, smiling at me.

"Uh ... where's Sana?"

"Oh, uhm....she handed me these books and ran away. Huh! She's soo rude not wanting to even lift a finger to help her teachers." The girl pouted.

I sighed.
"Did she give you the books or did you take them from her?" To take credit and get in my good books.
I asked her gently and she became nervous.

I knew because similar things used to happen to me too when I was this age.  No worries, I'll get her to talk to me tomorrow. I need to win her trust first.