Chapter 21

Orlando was a skinwalker; it all made sense now. Naeva hadn't thought it was even possible, but that was the only explanation. Monsters never provided physical changes, but skinwalkers... physical changes were the entirety of their magic.

Standing in the bathroom, staring at the wings that spread from wall to wall. She then released the wings into mist and transformed into a Finstrese bandit that had attacked her five years ago.

That settled it. Skinwalkers could only turn into people they'd killed. It was the biggest reason the surviving few were in hiding; it made their hunt that much easier when they could secret their prey away.

Naeva sighed, shrinking back into her usual self, then stepped out of the bathroom.

Radley was talking to his cousin. "I just can't think of anything she could have done that would've killed something like—"

Every phone in the room chirped. Naeva flipped her phone open and looked at the message: Request to all orders for assistance in Phazan. Dragon attack on the outer wall.

Naeva looked up at the rest of the group, and Radley nodded to her. She was about to see what entire orders working together could do.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

A minute later, the last of Lowly Champion arrived outside the capital with the Beck cousins emerging from the shadows. The dragon was nowhere to be seen, but a small legion Radley recognized as the Nobleman's Ale order had arrived before them, many of its members glancing around nervously.

The guild leader, Steven Kohler, was visibly relieved when he saw Radley approach. "Thank goodness. That dragon is bigger and faster than any monster I've ever seen. It's circling around right now, above the clouds. I was afraid we'd have to rout it again before any other orders arrived."

"What kind of dragon is it?" Radley asked. "If I use the wrong power here, it won't end well."

"I think it's a Skytenant," Steven said, keeping his eyes locked on an ominous shadow in the clouds. "But I only know of three species, Radley. All I can honestly tell you is that it's not a Steelnester or a Covedweller, and it used wind to drop the fourth squad to their deaths.

"Certainly sounds like a Skytenant," a thin man said, approaching calmly. He didn't carry a weapon, though he seemed confident enough for a coming battle. "Be glad it's not a Rainstalker or a Steelnester. Nasty creatures."

"Have you met either of those?" Prince Adrean said, approaching him like a pupil to a master.

"Died to a Steelnester," he replied. "A few thousand years ago."

Radley laughed, but stopped the moment he realized that Adrean had barely reacted to the statement. The prince looked tired, but he didn't look too tired to realize how crazy that sounded. "Okay, who is this guy?"

"Master!?"

Naeva ran up to the man, looking more emotional than Radley had ever expected to see her. "Master Zero! I haven't seen you since I was eleven! Where have you been?"

"Elsewhere," he said simply. "You look well, Naeva."

"Thanks to you," she said, giving the staff on her back a tap with her left hand. "I've had a rough go, but I'm still here."

The man "Zero" smiled, then turned to Radley. "How long did it take for her to find you?"

"Um, what? Find me?"

"Your order. I knew she'd join one, but I didn't know when."

"Uh, she joined just the other day, but she found us a week and a half ago, I think?" Radley said, growing more confused. Who is this guy?