Chapter 12

The room was spotted with bright strawberry red from every man's wild Finstrese hair. Louis took a sip from his glass, enjoying the homemade concoction's sweetness. His second-in-command stood guard out front, and the rest of his fellow bandits talked, laughed, and gambled. 

Today had been a good haul. Some wealthy travelers had had the misfortune of passing through the scouts' route. No one in their active areas was strong enough to take on a bandit clan, especially Louis's clan. Every single member had Baykok venom on their side, a curious liquid that evaded defenses and caused incredible pain and hallucinations.

Yes, thanks to that power and Louis's leadership, the clan was thriving.

Just as Louis finished his drink, a tall man with pale skin and dark hair appeared in the darkest corner of the room. All went silent as the man slowly turned his head to face Louis.

Louis calmly set down his drink. "Raphael, come in here. Make an example of this man, please." Granted, he'd never seen someone materialize from the shadows like that, but his clan had dealt with crazier people before. An unfamiliar power wasn't going to change that.

At the call, Raphael, a powerful man with a shaved head, stepped in. He beelined for the trespasser, who turned to face the large man. Aside from the occasional taunt from one of Louis's men, the room was silent in anticipation.

Raphael charged, but the trespasser suddenly slipped behind him. Raphael tried to turn accordingly, but a quick strike to the neck sent him sprawling to the floor. One man gasped in shock, and Louis slowly stood from his chair.

The trespasser scanned the group, most of whom looked at Louis for orders. Many of them looked frightened, and if Louis was to be honest, he was surprised that a single blow could take Raphael down.

But this was still just one man. Louis waited for complete silence, then spoke.

"Kill him painfully."

The entire hideout burst into action. Many used camouflage to get an angle on him while the rest rushed him.

The dark stranger struck fluidly, throwing men off-balance and striking each precisely to knock them out. Whenever a knife grew too close, the man simply slithered outside of the group to continue fighting.

As soon as the stranger knocked out the last straightforward bandit, the rest made their move. A wave of venom sprayed in from all sides, coating the man. He gritted his teeth at the pain and shook where he stood, but otherwise didn't react.

As soon as it was clear he was hallucinating, the best men ran forward. The man didn't react until they crossed the shadows of some tables, at which point another series of strikes ended them. Louis could only stare in shock as the last of his men were taken out of commission by a tortured, hallucinating, pale, malnourished boy.

No, Louis was long past that word. This was a tortured, hallucinating, pale, malnourished demon.

Said demon looked up, his dark eyes set directly on Louis. Forcing his hand steady, the bandit drew a sword, a wicked-looking blade he'd crafted himself. He'd fashioned the blade with a jagged edge so it could tear as well as slash.

Before Louis could attack, something happened that sent a chill running down his every nerve. The demon smiled and shook his head.

"What are you?" Louis demanded, raising his blade.

Without drawing his own knife, the demon walked forward until he was just outside of stabbing range. He opened his mouth to speak, but Louis lunged forward.

He wasn't sure what he'd expected to happen. Perhaps he'd been expecting the demon to appear behind him. Maybe he was expecting him to block. Or perhaps he thought he would knock Louis's sword out of his hand before the motion was complete.