Chapter 4

Valerian arrived at the Gefroren border mere minutes after Radley did. That was a good sign; he'd gotten extremely fast with his newfound Libra powers in the last several days, especially since he'd gotten the hang of its potential. It wasn't just blades and clubs a Libra could negate. It could also undo or increase—at least partially—the forces of gravity and friction.

Radley could tell that Valerian had figured that one out quickly. Just two days after the battle, he'd been launching into the air, sliding on the ground like it was ice, and leaping once again into the sky. How he got the leverage to jump again without slipping or tripping was beyond Radley, but he was glad Valerian had figured it out. Now he could keep up; this boded well for future battles.

"I have something for you," Valerian said, tossing a small device to him.

Radley caught it and flipped it open. "Wh- a cell phone?"

Valerian flipped his open. "I bought one for everyone, plus a couple for potential members. We will never lose signal; I got a contract from that Hive Mind order in Jotaris. All of our calls are relayed through an old friend of mind. He'll keep any other Hive Mind members from listening in."

Radley glanced at the phone in his hand, then back up at Valerian. "We're not the richest order out there, Valerian. Where did you get the money for these? You didn't tap into our rent, did you?"

Valerian shook his head. "I killed a small Cerberus pack that was attacking a small town down south. Someone recognized me, and that town's lord gave me a reward. I figured I'd use it."

"Never figured you'd be the one to insist we communicate," Radley joked.

"I didn't do it for myself," Valerian muttered, looking over the rock against which Radley sat. "Now, where is the golem?"

That was why they were a day's superhuman run east. A request had come to their house just after Polina and Erin had left, requresting help from the Lowly Champions against a golem (or talus, depending on where you asked; some people insisted that talus were more rare) that was attacking underprepared border towns, most particularly Bergdorf. That was surprising; golems didn't normally leave Gefroren.

"I don't think it's here right now," Radley said slowly. "Those things are hard to hide. Maybe we should ask around the town?"

The town of Bergdorf wasn't a large one, so Radley didn't figure he'd ask for more than a few meals' worth of reward money for this job, in spite of the scale. While the town's size left it vulnerable, however, Radley was glad for it. Not only was he more comfortable in the country (in spite of his inventive hobbies), it would be easier to find the truth without a wild mass to sort through.

The cousins made their way toward the clinic, which was the closest thing Bergdorf had to a hospital. Nothing too major happened here, and where healers elsewhere had failed, someone here had the ability to prevent disease or illness in a radius of effect. In fact, as he crossed the border into town, Radley felt the slight stuffiness in his nose clear out instantly.

Valerian cleared his throat, wearing a bemused expression. "That is useful."

Their healer is curing illnesses we don't even realize we have, Radley thought. Amazing...!

The cousins arrived at the clinic within two minutes, as the town only consisted of one major road, which held both homes and businesses; sometimes both in the same building. Radley felt his affection for the town growing.

The clinic consisted of one room lined with a dozen beds, six on each side. Three were occupied. A doctor, likely one who hadn't absorbed any monsters' powers, tended to the beds on the right, redoing a woman's splint. Although the man in the bed next to hers seemed to be worse off than a broken leg, he held her hand in his. Probably her husband.