Chapter 9

Was it... the afternoon? Naeva couldn't tell with a roof over her head, but something told her that the morning arrival had left her sleeping through most of the day.

The door clicked; Naeva was wide awake as soon as she heard motion. She leapt to her feet, still getting her bearings on the house around her even as she brandished her staff.

Polina let out a quiet scream of surprise before sighing. "Sorry, I didn't know you were... here. I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."

"I don't dislike you," Naeva said honestly, deciding to put down the staff. "I just don't trust how selfless so many Tierisch people are."

"Understood," Polina said, sitting on an armchair. "So, how did you find our place? Did Mom tell you?"

"The thin one wanted an escort," Naeva replied stiffly, sitting back on the couch. "Said something about experiments."

"But you were still near Jotaris when he appeared, yeah?" Erin noted, entering from far side of the room. She whistled appreciatively. "He is getting better at that."

Naeva thought for a moment. "What does he do, anyway?"

"We're not... actually... sure," Polina said.

Valerian appeared between Polina and Erin, startling the former. They looked at him as if an explanation was likely to follow these sudden appearances, but he just smiled slightly. "Good morning, Naeva."

Stiffly, Naeva raised a hand. "Hey."

Valerian shifted uncomfortably, as if realizing that everyone in the room was about to start asking questions, but then the door opened, revealing a blond man who honestly looked like the only fighter in this order. He held a paper in his hand.

"I checked out the request board in the town square," he noted, not having noticed Naeva. "Huge pack of Cerberus between here and Phazan, and no one's been taking it, so I thought we could..." he trailed off as he looked up.

"Sure, I'll gladly meet the entire order for your mishap, Valerian, thank you so much for asking," Naeva said.

Erin smirked. "I like this kid."

"Based on that hair, you must be Naeva?" the blond man asked. "I'm Radley Beck, Valerian's cousin. Nice to meet you."

"Yeah," Naeva said, wanting to leave as quickly as possible.

"She escorted me from Jotaris last night," Valerian said. "Since she looked tired, I offered the couch."

"And if I'm not needed here, I'll just be on my way," Naeva said. "Thank you all for your hospitality."

"Wait," Radley said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "This could be a good opportunity for everyone."

Naeva squirmed in his grip. "It really couldn't."

"Naeva Zero, have you even seen what orders do?" he asked seriously. "You don't have to actually join us, but you might as well help us on this job. We're just fighting some Cerberus, and I'll give you my cut of the job if you help."

She scowled at him, but then Valerian stepped up and held out some gold-colored coins. "And here is what I promised last night, before you go."

Naeva gritted her teeth. She was being manipulated, but they weren't exactly wrong, either. "Fine. What do I need to do?"

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"Are you okay?" Polina asked Naeva, putting an arm on her shoulder. Every word Polina spoke seemed to flow, like a soothing wind brushing across her nerves. She was still nervous, but somehow, whatever Polina was doing helped.