Chapter Twenty Two: Fault

Start from the beginning

She screwed up her face, "He didn't deserve to die, nobody deserves that."

"I didn't mean that-"

"Go away."

"Star?"

"I need to be alone, please, just go."

"Aries-"

"Peter. Please." She kept her eyes closed and she heard him stand up.

He nodded slowly, "I'm sorry. Can- can you call me later."

She nodded but said nothing. She didn't open her eyes again until she heard the front door open and close.

She walked into her room, she didn't want to risk Simon or Angelika seeing her crying and asking her what was wrong, although she didn't think Angelika would care very much.

☽☆☾

His funeral was on the 23rd October, it was a bleak miserable day. Aries had stayed at the Potter's with Sirius, he had gotten a flat with Remus but it was a bit cramped for everyone to stay there so they opted for Potter Manor.

Aries noticed how ill Euphemia was getting, she would spend her days sitting in her armchair and watching out of the window. Aries felt bad for James for he had to watch his mother go through this and there was nothing he could do about it.

She hadn't spoken to Peter since the news, she wasn't even sure if he was going to the funeral, she had dialled in his phone number but hung up before it rang.

"Knock knock." Benjy said, walking into the room, he gave her a small smile. "You alright- stupid question, I'm sorry-"

Aries smiled. "It's fine Ben, I'm glad you're here."

He nodded. "Cas and I wanted to be here for you."

"Thanks, you didn't have to."

"If it was either of us you would be there to support us, plus if a fight breaks out I'm running for your mother because she is a bitch."

Aries laughed. "You'd have to beat Sirius to it."

"We're on the same team, we can work together." he said, he then looked at her with a small smile. "Air, I know you and Regulus didn't get on very well, but I truly am sorry for your loss."

Aries nodded. "Thanks, Benjy."

Sirius walked into the room. "Portkey's about to go. Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah, and if you-"

"I'm coming with you." he stated, cutting her off, she nodded in response, she knew it would be hard for both of them to see their parents again.

The three walked down into the living room where the portkey was, Aries looked around the room but he wasn't there. She slumped slightly as she tried to ignore the sinking feeling.

"Ready?" James asked.

"Yeah." Aries said, walking alone towards the portkey, as she did she felt a hand slip into hers and she let out a sigh of relief. She looked up and Peter stood beside her, he lightly squeezed her hand and gave her a small smile. They didn't speak but he relaxed when she squeezed back.

The group took hold of the portkey and were transported to a field in the distance they saw the cemetery, there was already a group gathered around. Aries looked towards Sirius, he nodded and walked towards them.

As they got closer Aries saw the figures of her parents, she started breathing heavily as her chest started to close up, she stopped in her tracks.

"You don't have to do this." Peter said, stopping with her.

"No I do, I just- talk to me, about anything, just keep talking to me." she said, starting to walk again.

"Oh um... Chloe just started year two." he said. "Uncle Phil wanted her to get a muggle education before Hogwarts."

"Yeah?"

"Uh-uh, she is also going around making everyone origami because you taught her," he told her as they caught up with the group.

"She is?" Aries smiled.

"Yeah, she's made birds, and butterflies- she even made a dragon."

She furrowed her brows. "How the hell did she make a dragon?"

"I have no clue, I don't think she knows how she did it either."

Her breathing had slowed down, "I'm sorry." she said, looking at him.

He shook his head. "No, don't apologise, I'm sorry. I wasn't listening to what I was saying, he's your brother, I shouldn't have said what I said. But I promise you it's not your fault, okay."

Aries nodded, deep down she would always blame herself but she would never show it.

As they got closer she saw her mother turn around, she was wearing a black veil hiding her face, Aries was calmed by the fact she couldn't see her face. Walburga seemed to walk forward but was stopped by Orion, he held his hand up in front of her and the two whispered to one another.

Walburga backed down facing away from the uninvited group, Orion looked towards them and gave a small nod, Aries moved her eyes away from him and towards the grave. She stood next to Sirius, the two siblings mourned the death of their brother.

☽☆☾

Thankfully after the service Orion and Walburga left promptly without another glance at their children.

"Oh thank Merlin, I really did not want to fight your mother." Benjy said, wiping sweat from his forehead after they got back to Potter manor. "I know I said I did but when we got here my heart started beating."

"Nice to know you have our back, Ben." Sirius said, shaking his head.

"I've got palpitations." he said, rapidly tapping his hand on his chest.

"You know Benjy was always terrible at fighting," Dorcas said, patting his shoulder.
Benjy shrugged. "I'd rather watch a fight anyway."

James walked in with a tray full of shot glasses. "Shall we do a toast?"

Sirius nodded, walking towards him. 

"To Regulus, you were one moody son of a bitch, even tried to knock me out on the Quidditch pitch... and I know you're somewhere out there rolling your eyes at us."  Sirius said, he raised his glass then took the shot, the rest followed after. Aries grimaced as she drank it, she forgot how much fire whiskey burnt.

A while later everyone went home, Aries sat on the sofa Peter had his head resting on her shoulder asleep, she kissed his head then looked up at Sirius.

"Sirius?"

"Yeah?" he asked, turning his head towards her.

"If Regulus had come to you for help, would you?"

He thought for a moment and scrunched his nose, "Honestly Aries. No." he shook his head. "I probably wouldn't have."

Aries nodded, she looked back down at Peter who lightly snored.

"Would you?"

She paused, she didn't want to know what he would do if he found out Regulus had actually gone to her. "Probably not, no."

Somehow knowing that Sirius wouldn't have helped should have made her feel better, that she wasn't alone in that, but it just made it worse... Regulus truly had no one, she would forever feel guilty for not helping him that night.

____________________

Chapter 22!!!

Please vote and comment 🌟

♈️